• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooted?

Root Checker and connectBot will only tell you if you have root access but not elevate permissions. For that you will need to install SuperSU.

Let me offer a word of caution about removing carrier apps. Many apps provide services for other parts of the OS and if you remove them, you can disable certain features or make your phone unusable. More importantly, system apps are not easily restorable like simply installing an .apk file. And once deleted, even a factory reset will not recover them. You will have to locate and flash a stock rom image to get them back. If you plan on rooting and deleting those apps, please check back here first before you do anything so we can make sure it's safe for you to delete those without any negative impact to your phone.

Upvote 0
I thought a rooted phone allowed you to remove anything from the phone.
That's true… to a point. Assuming you have Superuser or SuperSU running, there are still some limitations. For example, you can't delete or move a file/folder that is symlinked without first removing the symbolic link. As has already been suggested, you are better off be first freezing the candidate apps and then test for awhile to see if anything breaks. For example, on my S4, I initially removed S Voice because I had no use for it. However, I subsequently discovered that doing so broke S Translate, which I did have a use for.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones