• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting Acer Iconia Tab 8 A1-850

Gomtu

May 24, 2015
Okay, I'm a total noob to android and tablets, but you don't have to be experienced to be offended by the bloatware pre-installed on your device so you can't remove it. As I understand it the only way to get that garbage off the device you paid your good hard-earned money for is to root it.

But there's the danger of bricking your new device to scare you off. I sure don't want to do that. I tried an app that said it could do the job, and ran it. It came back with a message saying my tablet could not be rooted. So, has Acer found a way to make it impossible to root this device? It seems to be their newest tablet, and I'm thinking that's something they would be working hard on.

There's always a danger of bricking your tab after you've rooted it.
That's why it's pretty important to have a custom recovery installed so you can back up your OS and restore it if you mess anything up (uninstall a crucial app for example).
If you're only rooting to get rid of bloat then I strongly suggest checking if the apps can be disabled (uninstall updates first).
Pre installed apps are stored in a separate partition from your downloaded apps so uninstalling them wouldn't free up any storage space that's useful to you :thumbsupdroid:
Here's an example of someone not knowing what they're doing and I can guarantee he hasn't got a backup http://androidforums.com/index.php?threads/920071/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones