• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting and phone updates?

handyman439

Jun 29, 2011
About a week ago I rooted my commando. Yesterday I recieved an automatic update from verizon. I just let the phone do its thing (never "un-rooted") and it updated sucessfully.

However now it appears as if my phone is no longer rooted. The bloatware I froze is still hidden, but root-only apps no longer have root privilages.

Should I have un-rooted before installing the update? and should I just go ahead and just re-root my phone to gain privilages again?

My Droid1 still got updates after I rooted.
I wanted to stay with an older version of Android in that phone so I just removed the update app and it no longer bothered me when one was available.

The Commando should still receive updates so long as you are running the InnopathActivecare app, and maybe a few others.

An update may unroot the phone, but that is an easy thing to fix.
Your settings and data shoud remain intact, as much as if you had not rooted.
Do remember thought....it is possible that removed apps may be replaced with operating ones when the update occurs.

Reactions: dsiddens
Upvote 0

Here is one paragraph that sounds a bit scary:
Already deployed by multiple Tier-1 service providers, ActiveCare offers a rich set of over-the-air management capabilities to address key support issues. These capabilities include the ability to properly configure data services, identify problems, correct configuration settings, manage hardware functionality, update the firmware, and remotely lock and wipe the phone if it is lost or stolen.

So, it would seem that they can make changes to the individual phone and "correct configuration settings".

We may wake up one day to find out phones have been unrooted and returned to full factory app inventory.

For this reason, I have removed the InnopathActivecare app.

Okay.....gotta put my tinfoil hat back on now.....they are listening. :)

Reactions: dsiddens
Upvote 0
The phone will continue to work without updates.
Android is constantly being improved and it takes a while for newer versions to filter down to devices.......the updates come from the service provider or the phone manufacturer, or both....and some come faster than others. Sometimes bugs are fixed, sometimes new bugs are introduced, and sometimes new features are included.

No, you will not get an update with Innopatth app running.
You can always reinstall it if you hear of an update you are interested in recieving.

Reactions: Ren Stimpy
Upvote 0
It appears they've nerf'd the rooting abilities of SuperOneClick for the time being for Casio Commando... I hope there will be an update very soon as i would like to give rooting a shot on my Commando. Am very impressed by the knowledge available here at Androidforums.com and equally impressed by the common courtesy of the users herein. :D

Upvote 0
Has anyone tried the XDA team's solution as to rooting/unrooting ? The ICS update is coming one of these days.

I have seen a few people here and a few more on xda claim to have rooted 2.3.3 on the commando.

paxchristos posted some detailed instructions in the other thread
http://androidforums.com/3355679-post40.html

I am curious if ICS will ever officially come to commando. It will probably have issues running it along with all the bloat they cram on this device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones