• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting and ROM Headache

vicshalls

Android Enthusiast
May 30, 2010
H-Town
There is just so much to read and I have been reading since I got my Evo. I found a wonderful step by step on how to do the toast root and I am sure that is the way I will go since Unrevoked (from what I have read) will not let you get rid of bloatware. See that is really what I want is to get rid of all that crap. Would love to have better battery life, but I have chargers all over the place. So with that said I am having issues finding the right ROM. The only roms I have found dont really tell me what they do and what to expect from them. I have tried to search for them with no luck. I found a few by accident but not sure if I will be able to find them again. This can be very overwhelming. I also like sense and wonder if I flash a rom will I loose that? Can someone just break this all down for me or at least give me to links to go to? Can someone also explain in plain english what overclocking does? I would appreciate any help anyone would give me.

Almost every rom, at least those from a decent dev, has a changelog which tells you exactly what's in the rom and any known issues with it.

damagecontrol's v3 rom seems to be working well for a lot of people. Fresh rom has majority of sprint apps removed and it works as well.

In this subforum itself, there's a number of roms listed, so I'm not sure why you're having a hard time finding them.

Upvote 0
There is just so much to read and I have been reading since I got my Evo. I found a wonderful step by step on how to do the toast root and I am sure that is the way I will go since Unrevoked (from what I have read) will not let you get rid of bloatware. See that is really what I want is to get rid of all that crap. Would love to have better battery life, but I have chargers all over the place. So with that said I am having issues finding the right ROM. The only roms I have found dont really tell me what they do and what to expect from them. I have tried to search for them with no luck. I found a few by accident but not sure if I will be able to find them again. This can be very overwhelming. I also like sense and wonder if I flash a rom will I loose that? Can someone just break this all down for me or at least give me to links to go to? Can someone also explain in plain english what overclocking does? I would appreciate any help anyone would give me.

EVO 4G Android Development - xda-developers

That's where you wanna go. If a Rom has no sense, they will tell you in the title, or the description. If it mentions nothing about sense, odds are its going include it, as most roms do. And overclocking is not achieved on the evo yet. Toast compiled a kernel source that might allow it, but i haven't seen it implemented in any roms yet. Overclocking basically controls the speed of your processor and clocks it at a higher speed. In short, it makes your phone run faster, however you run the risk of overheating your phone, and could shorten the life of the device.

Upvote 0
EVO 4G Android Development - xda-developers

That's where you wanna go. If a Rom has no sense, they will tell you in the title, or the description. If it mentions nothing about sense, odds are its going include it, as most roms do. And overclocking is not achieved on the evo yet. Toast compiled a kernel source that might allow it, but i haven't seen it implemented in any roms yet. Overclocking basically controls the speed of your processor and clocks it at a higher speed. In short, it makes your phone run faster, however you run the risk of overheating your phone, and could shorten the life of the device.

Not to mention shorten battery life :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones