• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting and tethering

Need help with both. Should I root and how do I? Also trying to tether phone to X-box. No computer access at this time just my phone. Droid 2.2

Not sure about your X-box situation, someone else will have to answer that.

I suggested reading the sticky threads up at the top regarding rooting your phone.

I read all of the instructions a few times, read a few threads of people fighting with rooting or flashing a ROM etc.. before I made the attempt. A LOT of people don't read through this and everyone in this forum has to answer the thread titled:

"Help! Tried to root and I think I bricked my phone!"

Which annoys everyone.

Since everyone helped me so much in this process I will try to share the love a bit.

1. Read the sticky's on rooting etc..

2. Root your phone (this is actually pretty easy with one of the one-click root tools...if your phone is 2.2 release frg01B...if it is frg22D you cannot currently root using 1 click rooting tools...you have to do it the old-fashioned way...which is also pretty easy)

3. You will need a ROM to replace you stock 2.2 ROM and I would do this by getting ROM manager from the Marketplace and then reading the sticky's in the ROMs sub forum regarding flashing a ROM. It is also fairly easy.

4. Once you have it rooted and a ROM flashed that supports wifi tethering you need to go to the market and get a wifi tether program. There are two good free ones.

Several people did exactly this process and are using their tethered Droid as their primary internet at their homes for their PC's etc...

Good luck

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones