• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting - can't get unrevoked started ...

Chaps,

I'm trying to root my Desire (plain Desire, not Desire HD or S), and am using the guide from SURoot here:

http://androidforums.com/desire-all...nrevoked-windows-updated-20th-may-2011-a.html

I have the "Android Bootloader Interface" listed under the device manager on the computer (although it does have a yellow warning sign next to it - could this be relevant?)

I have run unrevoked, and have the unrevoked3 window showing on screen, but it says "Waiting for device. Plug phone in now and enable USB debugging. Make sure HTC Sync is *not* installed!"

I have therefore removed HTC Sync from the computer (having installed it specially for the purpose of rooting the 'phone!), plugged the 'phone into the PC and enabled USB debugging ... but nothing is happening. The 'phone is sitting there, quite happily plugged into the computer, and the computer appears to be still waiting for it.

What else do I need to do? (Do I need to tell the 'phone what sort of connection it wants to make with the PC - as a disk drive, charge only etc? It's set as 'Disk Drive' at the moment.)

FWIW, 'phone details are thus:

Android v2.2
Baseband version 32.49.00.32u_5.11.05.27
Build No 2.29.405.5 CL293415 release_keys
Software No 2.29.405.5
Browser Version Webkit 3.1
Bravo PVT1 Ship S-ON
HBoot 0.93.0001
Microp - 031d
Touch Pad synw0101
Radio 5.11.05.27

All help welcomed ... otherwise I'm stuck with the stock arrangement!

Thanks.

Oli.

I'm no expert (they'll be along shortly) but a couple of things I think i spotted - you need to install HTC Sync for the drivers only, and then uninstall HTC Sync (program only) before updating the hboot drivers (take it your using a Windows PC?). Don't think you should have a yellow warning if they installed ok, but can't remember tbh.

Might be worth re-reading the guides and follow them step by step, and starting this bit from scratch again just to make sure.

Before running Unrevoked phone needs to be connected in 'charge only' mode, I also unticked the 'ask me every time' option as well.

Upvote 0
Guys,

Thanks for your answers. As it was, I found the thread here:

How To Root Your HTC Phone With UnrEVOked! | Root My Droid | Root My Droid

... and followed the guide there for Unix users (I use Ubuntu so it was easier - for me - than trying with XP on my old lappie!)

And IT WORKED!

I am now very chuffed. Just off to try a new ROM.

Thanks for your advice. I know I haven't used it, but thanks for the input.

Oli.

Upvote 0
Hmmm. I saw UOT Kitchen mentioned a couple of times.

I think I'll keep it simple to start with (hey - an hour ago I had a completely standard 'phone!) and try a ROM or two. Gingervillain seems popular. And Oxygen. I'll try them and see where I end up.

Presumably changing the ROM is less risky than rooting the thing in the first place?

Thanks again for your help.

Oli.

Upvote 0
OK, another question.

I have now tried to install two custom ROMs - GingerVillain and Oxygen, both from XDA_Developers. (The GingerVillain one is here:

[ROM-GingerBread] Ginger Villain 2.7 (02-07) - xda-developers )

I can - apparently - install them fine, and both of them will get as far as a logo on boot, but get stuck there. The Oxygen one is a nice, shimmering watery word 'Oxygen', and the GV one is a Droid appearing out of the darkness, with "VILLAINROM Free your Android" underneath it. And that's all. The 'phone hangs at that point, and goes no further. The logo fades out and reappears in both cases, but it never progresses to anything else.

The buttons don't do anything, and the only option is to pull the battery out and go back to HBOOT (which works fine, and allows you to install another ROM, but the same thing happens again!)

Am I being impatient? I have left these for 15 or so minutes. Or am I doing something wrong? It seems odd that the same thing is happening with two different ROMS, so I am assuming it is a problem with what I am doing.

All help welcomed - thanks.

Oli.

Upvote 0
OK. I'm getting more confident about this now - I've had a look at GV, and am now going to wipe it again (seems to be good practice) and will try Oxygen.

GV looked ... interesting. Not sure that I liked it as much as the standard one, which I had with CustomLauncher. Having lost it, I now remember how carefully tweaked it was for my use!

Presumably if I use UOT Kitchen then I will be creating ROMS all of my own, and will need to install each newly-created ROM from scratch? (As in, it's not as simple as just changing a setting on the 'phone?)

Oli.

Upvote 0
No no, the part of the rom that is responsible for the theme is /system/frameworks/frameworks-res.apk and /system/apps/systemUI.apk

The UOT modifes these files and when you flash them, they just replace the existing ones, the rest of the rom remains as is.

You wouldnt need to wipe of you were upgrading Gingervillain from say 2.7 to 2.8 as its the same rom. the wiping is because settings and data are incompatible between different roms.

Upvote 0
Ah. OK. That sounds like a useful bit of background understanding that I needed to know.

I'll have a look and see what I can see at UOT ...

Also, people have some very pretty looking widgets. Are these in UOT as well, or should I be looking elsewhere?

(I've now played with Oxygen, and am a little disappointed at how similar it is to the standard arrangement. I guess I am looking for a way to make the phone as different as possible. Maybe I just need to play with some more weird and wonderful ROMs. Any suggestions for utterly off-the-wall stuff?)

Oli.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones