Rooting Detection

Last Updated:

1. jmt79

jmt79 New Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, I'm looking to purchase the Samsung Captivate and would be looking to root the phone when I do. I've been trying to do my homework before diving in too deep.

The obvious warranty questions abound... will rooting void my warranty? Most of the answers are "maybe"... or "possibly"... or "it can".

My question is not if rooting will void my warranty, but does anyone know if the Captivate has any way of detecting that the phone has previously been rooted

I read somewhere (don't have the reference at this time) that some phones have a way to tell if the phone has been rooted in the past. If this is the case then your phone will definitely have a voided warranty the second you root it.

Has anyone heard of this before and does anyone know if the Captivate has this feature? Has anyone rooted the phone, then returned it under warranty?

Advertisement
  2. tcv

tcv Well-Known Member

Rooting will void your warranty and there will always be a way to tell that the systems files have been altered, but I don't think any average AT&T clerks (as in, iphone salesman) would be smart or suspicious enough to check that. If you need to return, remove the superuser app and any other root apps (busybox, titanium backup, etc.) and you'll probably be able to get away with returning it.

3. jmt79

jmt79 New Member This Topic's Starter

So basically if I unroot the phone and take it back to the store I will probably be good to go...

4. myrv

myrv Well-Known Member

What I would do if I were going to return the phone is just use Odin and flash the stock rom onto the phone. It removes root, all of your apps, and restores the phone. Then you can go in using the stock file system explorer and remove the update.zip and anything else you need gone.

5. DemonWav

DemonWav Member

Not true...because on the Captivate you aren't altering anything. All you do to root a Captivate (maybe even all the Galaxy S phones, not sure myself) is add 3 files. To unroot, you remove those three files. There are no files in the phone that are being "altered" by rooting.