• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting Detection

jmt79

Lurker
Sep 13, 2010
Okay, I'm looking to purchase the Samsung Captivate and would be looking to root the phone when I do. I've been trying to do my homework before diving in too deep.

The obvious warranty questions abound... will rooting void my warranty? Most of the answers are "maybe"... or "possibly"... or "it can".

My question is not if rooting will void my warranty, but does anyone know if the Captivate has any way of detecting that the phone has previously been rooted

I read somewhere (don't have the reference at this time) that some phones have a way to tell if the phone has been rooted in the past. If this is the case then your phone will definitely have a voided warranty the second you root it.

Has anyone heard of this before and does anyone know if the Captivate has this feature? Has anyone rooted the phone, then returned it under warranty?

Rooting will void your warranty and there will always be a way to tell that the systems files have been altered, but I don't think any average AT&T clerks (as in, iphone salesman) would be smart or suspicious enough to check that. If you need to return, remove the superuser app and any other root apps (busybox, titanium backup, etc.) and you'll probably be able to get away with returning it.

Upvote 0
there will always be a way to tell that the systems files have been altered

Not true...because on the Captivate you aren't altering anything. All you do to root a Captivate (maybe even all the Galaxy S phones, not sure myself) is add 3 files. To unroot, you remove those three files. There are no files in the phone that are being "altered" by rooting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones