• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting DroidX - Help for Beginner

Have DroidX 2.2.1
Main APPS: Launcher Pro, TouchDown, Lookout, Dolphin
Problem: DroidX self-reboots too often
Advice: Root phone and "Install one of those ROMs"

Questions:
  • What is rooting - in a nutshell
  • How much a nerd must I be to root my phone - I'm good at computing on Windows XP and can almost always fix problems myself
  • How to install "minimal" root
  • How will rooting phone affect installed apps
  • What is ROM and how will I know which will correct rebooting

Have DroidX 2.2.1
Main APPS: Launcher Pro, TouchDown, Lookout, Dolphin
Problem: DroidX self-reboots too often
Advice: Root phone and "Install one of those ROMs"

Questions:
  • What is rooting - in a nutshell
  • How much a nerd must I be to root my phone - I'm good at computing on Windows XP and can almost always fix problems myself
  • How to install "minimal" root
  • How will rooting phone affect installed apps
  • What is ROM and how will I know which will correct rebooting
Welcome! .....first of all this seems wayyyyy more complicated than it really is but like anything you must learn ....so keep asking questions! ....ok rooting your device in essence just gives you super user (admin) control over your device ...its a gateway that allows you
To theme / mod / rom / overclock and customize your x.
I would start by reading the link I provide below and read the sticky at the top of the root forum
http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...ide-root-unroot-backup-rom-sbf-overclock.html
And then ask questions on stuff your still unsure about ....you have come to the right place ...we are all super friendly and willing to help :D
Also rooting your x will have no bearing on your apps now ....you will just be able to use more apps (root specific apps) as far as roms go I would recommend apex 1.4.1 or darkslide ...but as I say do some homework first

Reactions: RoOoLeR
Upvote 0
I soo want to root my phone. As confirmed in so many other places here, it's intimidating. I am very concerned I'm going to start this process, not do it right, and then run out of time trying to fix it. When I say run out of time, need to go to bed because I have to wake up early for work or do it on the weekend and be without a phone for days. I have seen the guide you provided above. OMG, it's soo long. I need to read it more later. With all that said, how much time do you think I should set aside to give this a try? Keeping in mind, I'm soo new to this and tend to mess things up the first time...and second. :)

Once I do this, will I not be able to call Verizon for help if there are problems with the phone?

Upvote 0
I soo want to root my phone. As confirmed in so many other places here, it's intimidating. I am very concerned I'm going to start this process, not do it right, and then run out of time trying to fix it. When I say run out of time, need to go to bed because I have to wake up early for work or do it on the weekend and be without a phone for days. I have seen the guide you provided above. OMG, it's soo long. I need to read it more later. With all that said, how much time do you think I should set aside to give this a try? Keeping in mind, I'm soo new to this and tend to mess things up the first time...and second. :)

Once I do this, will I not be able to call Verizon for help if there are problems with the phone?

My advice would be to set aside some time for it until you get the hang of it then when you become more familiar you will be switching roms etc in minutes ....before I learned I rooted my x and messed it up at 10 pm and was sorting it out until 3 am on a work night with the help of this forum .....also for any root related problems (non hardware issues) you won't be able to call vzw nor would I recommend it as we all know much more anyway lol

Reactions: RoOoLeR
Upvote 0
My advice would be to set aside some time for it until you get the hang of it then when you become more familiar you will be switching roms etc in minutes ....before I learned I rooted my x and messed it up at 10 pm and was sorting it out until 3 am on a work night with the help of this forum .....also for any root related problems (non hardware issues) you won't be able to call vzw nor would I recommend it as we all know much more anyway lol

Thanks. That sounds like me...starting at 10pm and not being done until 3am. I will have to wait until I have a free weekend to take the plunge.

Now where was my head to even think to call Verizon when I have you guys. LOL

Upvote 0
Welcome! .....first of all this seems wayyyyy more complicated than it really is but like anything you must learn ....so keep asking questions! ....ok rooting your device in essence just gives you super user (admin) control over your device ...its a gateway that allows you
To theme / mod / rom / overclock and customize your x.
I would start by reading the link I provide below and read the sticky at the top of the root forum
http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...ide-root-unroot-backup-rom-sbf-overclock.html
And then ask questions on stuff your still unsure about ....you have come to the right place ...we are all super friendly and willing to help :D
Also rooting your x will have no bearing on your apps now ....you will just be able to use more apps (root specific apps) as far as roms go I would recommend apex 1.4.1 or darkslide ...but as I say do some homework first

Thank you!

Like gmenfan83 said, feel free to read through my thread and check it out. While i am not supposed to "Advertise" other sites (and i do apologize to the staff) check out roooler I have the same steps as in the link gmenfan83 supplied however a lot of people feel they are "easier" on the eyes :)

Also this goes for anyone. If you would like some 1 on 1 time feel free to email me for help, or add me to Gtalk Via,

RoOoLeRxx@gmail.com

-Have a good day!

Upvote 0
Thank you!

Like gmenfan83 said, feel free to read through my thread and check it out. While i am not supposed to "Advertise" other sites (and i do apologize to the staff) check out roooler I have the same steps as in the link gmenfan83 supplied however a lot of people feel they are "easier" on the eyes :)

Also this goes for anyone. If you would like some 1 on 1 time feel free to email me for help, or add me to Gtalk Via,

RoOoLeRxx@gmail.com

-Have a good day!
Downloaded GTalk and added you RoOoLeRxx. Stuck early in the process of root.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I will keep this in mind. So, my one key thing I need to definitely do is use the backup, right? Is that the only thing I will need in case I screw this up? As long as I know I can go back to where I started and try again another time, I have no issues messing around.

You will be able to go back to where you were but if you really screw up then you have sbf and maderstcok zip (which both restore your phone to a new state) to recover with

Upvote 0
Im pretty sure i solved your problems/questions via email yesterday is that correct??
If you are talking to me, yeah man, and thanks again. Gonna look into some themes. I've overclocked my DX with QuickClock Advanced Overclock but I really have no idea what it's doing so I just let it do it's thing, I'll have to read up on it some more and try to optimize it for my phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones