• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting Eris/Unrooting Eris/ All that jazz

holy old threads batman! :eek:

the nand backups are labled corresponding to the date you made them and another 4 digit number: yyyymmdd-xxxx

try installing the most recent one that you have. if that doesnt work,it may be neccessary to reflash whatever rom youre running.

that is assuming youve been into settings>language and keyboard and have a keyboard checked. and that you have tried long pressing on the on a compose box to get the "input method" box to come up so you can pick one keyboard or the other :)

Reactions: DrkNluv
Upvote 0
lol Thank you Scott. I I've got a new game plan though. Is there a downloadable file of the old Rom of the original HTC Sense? I was experiementing further and upgraded to the Kaos Gingerbread rom. Interesting look but not nearly as useful, but at least I have a keyboard. Is it possible to start back over fresh?

Upvote 0
Is it possible to start back over fresh?

Sure is. This unroots your phone, so you will need to re-root afterward.

[ROM][10/20/2010]FlashBack21 v1 -Return to Factory Stock - UPDATED - xda-developers

Before you do that, though, you might want to do the following: open up a web page. (say Google, for instance), and long press the text entry box. Select "Input Method" and select your default keyboard.

It is somewhat unusual for the installation of an alternate keyboard to destroy the default keyboard. If you've installed a keyboard which crashes every time you tried to use it, the solution is usually to revert to the default keyboard using the "Input Method" selector.

eu1

PS I'm not sure that keyboard you downloaded was ever intended for the Eris; I only found references to it on the web in the the context of the Nexus 1. The installer writes a shared library into /system/lib, and that is definitely non-standard behavior, compared to normal ".apk" packages. (That sort of behavior is not very portable between different phone models, depending on what the library does)

If you want an alternate keyboard that looks like the original HTC 1.5 keyboard, and includes a voice search key, I have had good luck with the "Low Resolution" v22 keyboard (/htc_ime_jonasl_lowres_22) on every ROM I have tried it on (Android 2.1/2.2). I may have tried v27 a long time ago, but can't remember what my experience was with it. I know that lowres v22 works, though, on all the Eris dev ROMs... and am sure that there are even better keyboards available for a little scratch on the Market.

[ Edit ] Whoops! That keyboard can be found here:
[MOD] HTC_IME (8th June) v27: Small fix - xda-developers

Upvote 0
What does "remount" do?

The /system partition (and "mount point") is typically available only in a read-only fashion for safety reasons. If you need to delete, add, or rename a file in the system partition, you need to mount it in a read-write mode. Because the O/S would crash if you actually un-mounted it (or more likely would refuse to unmount), the Linux "mount" command has an option to toggle the write status of the mount, e.g.

remount toggling the read-write status ON:
Code:
mount -o remount,[B]rw[/B] -t /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

remount toggling the read-write status OFF:
Code:
mount -o remount,[B]ro[/B] -t /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

when you do an "adb remount", I am not sure if it always does the latter, or if it toggles between read-write and read-only modes. For sure, the first time you do that after the phone has been booted, it remount /system in a read-write mode.

eu1

Reactions: kloiga
Upvote 0
im noticing that the OP didnt ever reply back, and this was after i was suspecting that he was just dropping a link for a site that doesnt even seem to have the root instructions that were linked. can we delete that 1st post?

Deleting the first post will delete the entire thread. I've removed the link, as it appears that the link is dead and the website is just forwarding to a general index. Otherwise, I'll leave the thread in tact so that it can continue to help other people.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones