• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ROOTING into the HTC Desire HD for use in Canadas 3G

kissdaring

Lurker
Nov 8, 2010
so i have a question!! this may be dumb but im new and want to find out if its a software or a hardware that is stopping the 3G frequency network, if its a hardware then ignore this post!!! However if its a software blockage then would there be a way to root into the phone and make something happen? Like allowing different frequencies to communicate with the Canadian 850-1900 3G network.....

if some of you wizards can share some light on this topic that would be great.

so i have a question!! this may be dumb but im new and want to find out if its a software or a hardware that is stopping the 3G frequency network, if its a hardware then ignore this post!!! However if its a software blockage then would there be a way to root into the phone and make something happen? Like allowing different frequencies to communicate with the Canadian 850-1900 3G network.....

if some of you wizards can share some light on this topic that would be great.

generally most of the DHD's on sale from a non operator specific outlet (e.g. where you get it sim free) and not locked to a network.

by the looks of it the A-P range looks the same as you guys in canada

Europe:
HSPA/WCDMA: 900/2100 MHz
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
Asia Pacific:
HSPA/WCDMA: 900/2100 MHz
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

Upvote 0
on a side note,

Europe:
HSPA/WCDMA: 900/2100 MHz (3G network)
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz (2G network)

Asia Pacific:
HSPA/WCDMA: 900/2100 MHz (3G network)
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz (2G network)

at least that's whats being talked about!!!!!
I want to get the phone but would hate such a fast phone to be operating at such slow speeds (network)

what I want to really touch base on and know is the possibility lays that if we could/would ROOT into the phone, are we able to somehow apply a HACK to allow North American frequency to be recognized properly and work with the speed of 3G or is this something that has to do with hardware?

(take for example iPhone!! you can get one from bum f*** Idaho unlock it and it will work on any network with with 3G working just fine.) is there some sort of jailbreak/patch that can be applied?

I asks in the hopes that this will be possible and that we are able to get this working the proper way and im sure this phone wont come to North America. I'm talking about the HTC Desire HD. not those other ones that have made its way into North America.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones