• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root rooting the moto droid 2 an differences

wolfdragon

Lurker
May 21, 2010
so ive been mulling over the specs and details of the new droid 2 and ive not seen too much of a noticable difference as it applies to rooting. so would it be possible that the rooting process of the original droid will work on the new one? i ask because i am interested in changing my phone from the original and have been debating the htc incred. vs the moto droid.:thinking:

so ive been mulling over the specs and details of the new droid 2 and ive not seen too much of a noticable difference as it applies to rooting. so would it be possible that the rooting process of the original droid will work on the new one? i ask because i am interested in changing my phone from the original and have been debating the htc incred. vs the moto droid.:thinking:
Probably much better to look at the Droid X for comparison than the original Droid. And the exploit used for the Droid X root is apparently 'fixed' as part of the official Froyo update, so I'm guessing that the same applies to the Droid 2 which comes with Android 2.2m thus seemingly preventing using past methods of rooting.

I don't doubt the Droid 2 will be rooted, but it would seem to be a new process that may apply to both the Droid 2 and Droid X running Android 2.2. And that may then be good for a month or two until Android 3.0 Gingerbread comes out and potentially affects that root process.

Upvote 0
I don't doubt the Droid 2 will be rooted, but it would seem to be a new process that may apply to both the Droid 2 and Droid X running Android 2.2. And that may then be good for a month or two until Android 3.0 Gingerbread comes out and potentially affects that root process.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just spent hundreds on this phone and now there's a chance I can't share wifi signal to my laptop!? :(

Upvote 0
Just a guess, but I think the DX and D2 will be rooted and ROM-able by mid Sept, if not earlier. And I don't think Gingerbread will be out until December/January.
I believe that the DX and D2 being rooted are somewhat dependent on when the final Froyo update for the DX is released, which might make root more likely a little bit later than that. But we'll just have to wait and see.

While those that are concerned with rooting and ROM have a greater presence in forums like this, I think that as far as the general market is concerned the OS updates are probably viewed as being more critical. And I think that the Android 3.0 update dates will be heavily influenced by how much incorporation of manufacturer specific UIs is allowed/involved, if no additional UI is involved then releasing it for specific phones may occur sooner.

Upvote 0
DROIDing, try z4root, which is a 1 click root app. I used it on my Droid 2 with no problems at all.

[APP] z4root - xda-developers

Thanks so much! I have an hour right now to kill, but my batter is only at 50% and I have not made any backups yet. Can I root with only half battery? If so, all my truly important items such as photos and files are on my SD card, and other than that I can just write down the Apps I enjoy and will want to re-download.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Rooting does not wipe your device. Also, when you do a wipe, your SD card does not get touched and your apps will redownload.

I had no idea, THANK YOU! :)

That's very helpful, and one of the many reasons I love coming to great forums like THIS one.

So, whether I go through with the one-click root for my Droid2 OR even a full factory hard reset, my apps will automatically re-download and my internal memory card will remain completely untouched? AWESOME. This makes it so much easier.

So, I have NOTHING to lose and EVERYTHING to gain by rooting :)

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones