• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting vs. apps

hnh231

Lurker
Aug 18, 2012
Hi everyone. I'm very new (like, just now haha).

To give you a bit of background, I originally got a Nokia X3-02, thinking it would be enough smartphone for me, but the more I used the smartphone parts, the more frustrating they became. So now, I'm expecting my new "proper smartphone" (an unlocked HTC Incredible S) in the mail any day now.

In my Android app shopping and prepping for when the phone comes, I have learned that permissions are a big issue. On my Nokia, anytime an Internet connection was required, it would say so and ask how I want to connect. Apparently real smartphones don't always ask.

I have a low data plan, so data usage is a concern (I'm planning to use APNdroid to keep that under control), but it's not THE biggest concern. The concern for me is privacy. My techie knowledge is below full on coding but above granny. This is my dilemma: Should I go to the trouble of trying to root my phone when it comes? I know I could potentially brick it, and that rooting can make OS updates more complicated. If I did root it, I honestly think the only "rooting" capabilities I would use would be no ads, permissions control, and app installation onto a microSD. I'm not sure if that little usage makes that big of a change worthwhile. Then, on the other hand, I did find an app today in Google Play called Privacy Protector (No root). (I'm too new to post links yet.)
I'm not sure how reliable it is, but outside of the SD installation option, if it works, I wouldn't have to root my phone.

I'm just trying to decide if rooting is worthwhile for average usage, and I thought you guys, having gone through the process, would be able to help. :)

"real smartphones don't ask". Lol. Honestly this is a misconception and its actually great for Android. Other smartphones don't ask yes. They just allow the permissions without telling you what these apps are capable of accessing your phone.

Honestly, you really don't need permission control, nor does anyone really need to root IMO, unless you want complete backups. Some apps, if you deny them certain permissions, would have features that won't work. Just stick to legit apps and you're fine.

Upvote 0
"real smartphones don't ask". Lol. Honestly this is a misconception and its actually great for Android. Other smartphones don't ask yes. They just allow the permissions without telling you what these apps are capable of accessing your phone.

Honestly, you really don't need permission control, nor does anyone really need to root IMO, unless you want complete backups. Some apps, if you deny them certain permissions, would have features that won't work. Just stick to legit apps and you're fine.

Not quite true, there are many apps that are only useful if your phone is rooted and are "legit" here is an example for you
with the pattern lock on my galaxy s3 when im home its disabled, when im in my car its disabled, when im anywhere else or at work its enabled cant do that unrooted with tasker

Upvote 0
I get what the OP was saying. On my 5800 it was infuriating, asking for permissions ALL the time. Android doesn't ask so much; when it does, it is logical so it doesn't wind me up! Most of the time, it will only ask on app installs. Other times, if you download a new browser or gallery app, then it will ask again, you get to choose which one will be default for that function. It shouldn't ask you after that.

If you should want to reset these permissions, or stop an app being the default app for something, then go in settings > manage apps > choose the app & clear it's defaults. Then you'll get asked again.

Android is more logical than symbian imo.

Upvote 0
Not quite true, there are many apps that are only useful if your phone is rooted and are "legit" here is an example for you
with the pattern lock on my galaxy s3 when im home its disabled, when im in my car its disabled, when im anywhere else or at work its enabled cant do that unrooted with tasker

Not quite true as well. Is that app convenient? Yes. Can you live without it? Yes as well. So do you actually NEED it? No. Rooting does bring some conveniences, but no, you really don't NEED root. Some people have the misconception that you need root to use your Android device. No you don't. And as the OP is a newbie at Android, I do not recommend rooting yet. Encountered too many newbs rooting and doing something that causes trouble in their phones. Learn to use your phone generically first, before diving head-first into the advanced stuff.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your feedback, everyone. I realize I may have not been clear and ended up kinda chomping on my foot a bit in my first post, haha. What I meant was that it seems like "real smartphones" don't ask for an Internet connection everytime (vs my X3-02). But it does make sense. I mean, if it's a full-on smartphone, the assumption would be that continuous Internet and/or data access comes with the territory. But again, that's what I'm hoping to use NPNdroid for: the same kind of control that came with my Nokia, but without the crappy Symbian system.

The permissions in and of themselves don't bother me. I agree, I would rather know what the app will be getting into now than have a nasty surprise later. That being said, some of the apps I was most excited about (Audiogalaxy, for example), seem to have a lot of permissions. So I was hoping to maybe find a happy medium where I could get the app but also curb some of my privacy concerns (hence the privacy app).

But that's why I was unsure about rooting. I fully realize that as far as full-featured smartphones go, I'm a newb. And I also don't want to be a stupid newb to boot, haha. So maybe I should just get used to the phone first, as I can always root later if something is really bugging me. If you guys have any ideas about privacy, apps, etc., I'm definitely all ears. :)

By the way (not to hijack my own thread), I know this may sound dumb, but do you guys have any advice for what order to do what? I've read posts from some Incredible S users who got ICS saying it wiped their settings and such (mine is coming with Froyo so I have to upgrade twice), so I was thinking maybe updating should be the first order of business out of the box, followed closely by antivirus and NPNdroid. As I said, I know it's sort of a weird question, but again, you've been there and done that, so I figure if there are any tips and tricks to make setup easier, you'd know...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones