• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Row of problems (mtp, insufficient storage)

Ploppz

Lurker
Jul 8, 2014
Hi. I have Linux on my laptop and want to connect it with my phone (for moving files). Mtp is apparently inconvenient for linux users (ironic that android is based on linux). It took me some while to read up and figure out how to mount it but I eventually did it with mtpfs. However, the only files I can access when it's mounted this way, is music and screenshots. No pictures - the folders are simply empty.

Here is the tree structure of the mounted Moto G. I shortened some parts and wrote in parentheses what it contained.

Code:
$ tree
├── Internal storage
│   ├── Alarms
│   ├── Android
│   │   ├── data
│   │   │   (uninteresting)
│   │   └── obb
│   ├── chatTemp
│   ├── DCIM
│   │   ├── 100ANDRO
│   │   ├── Camera
│   │   └── Facebook
│   ├── Download
│   ├── Kik
│   ├── media
│   │   └── audio
│   │       (hierarchy of my music files)
│   ├── Movies
│   ├── Music
│   ├── Notifications
│   ├── openfeint
│   │   └── webui
│   ├── paintjoy1
│   ├── Pictures
(list of screenshots)
│   │   └── Screenshots
│   ├── Podcasts
│   ├── recording921463199.amr
│   ├── Ringtones
│   ├── Snapchat
│   ├── temp
│   ├── temporary.jpg
│   └── viber
│       └── media
│           ├── User photos
│           ├── Viber Images
│           └── Viber Videos
└── Playlists
I'm wondering if the fact that I used Migrate to move everything from my own phone might be the reason for this? Another thing that I suspect is Migrate's fault, is that all my music went to "Misc." rather than "Audio" as shown in Settings -> Storage. Not a biggie though.

Well I'd love to be able to move all my pictures over to a computer anytime before it runs out of space. In the frustration I also considered trying Airdroid, which looks nice. However, when I tried to install it, I got a "Insufficient storage available." error. I also get that when installing or updating anything else. I cleaned up my phone a bit until I had 560 MB free and still I can't install a single app! Ironically I need to install Airdroid in order to be able to free more stuff (moving to pc) in order to be able to install Airdroid.. if I'll not be able to move pictures via MTP of course. So I'm kinda stuck honestly. What can I do?

Thanks in advance!

Bonus question: How can I use one of the songs I have on my phone, as ringtone? I'm not able to select anything else than the default built-in motorola ringtones.

I have to bump this; my phone is slowly filling up and there's no way to dump my data as I can't install Airdroid or anything! I still have about 250 MB but it's apparently not sufficient enough to install a 10 MB app. Is the harddisk fragmented or something? Is there some support I can contact in order to solve my problem?

Upvote 0
I have to bump this; my phone is slowly filling up and there's no way to dump my data as I can't install Airdroid or anything! I still have about 250 MB but it's apparently not sufficient enough to install a 10 MB app. Is the harddisk fragmented or something? Is there some support I can contact in order to solve my problem?
Do you have your photos synced to Google? If you don't, you can turn it on by gong into the Google photos app (the app with the pin wheel looking icon) and enabling the photo sync. Once all your photos are in the cloud you can delete all the photos in your Moto gallery. This'll remove all the photos from your phone and will free up space. Your photos will still be on the cloud then and safe. You'll still be able to view 'em in the Google photos app, as well on the web from a pc.

Reactions: Ploppz and sbdc003
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones