• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root RSD lite Failed flashing process

redwood36

Lurker
Dec 15, 2010
Hi Guys, I tried following the All-in-one guide below having rooted on a previous occasion with i believe the all in one root thing.

Anyways, Im in the bootloader screen running 29.01 with the following below:

Battery OK
OK to Program
Transfer Mode:
USB

I'm running Windows 7 64, RSD lite 4.8 installing the file linked here

when I hit start i get the following error

"Failed flashing process. Failed flashing process. (0x7100): phone connected"

the following are my device properties:

IMEI/ESN/MEID: N / A
Technology: N / A
Software Version: N / A
Flex Version: N / A
Bootloader Version: v0x002901
DRM Version: N / A
AP Die ID: 29d0020e681756010000f0ff0000
BP Die ID: 0000000000000000b55432890485
AP Public ID: 95742fcc89c93016ccd3393407b649e337f5f50b
BP Public ID: 040000000500000002000000ffff00002d003289

Hope someone can help.

Thanks!

edit:

Model: S-Flash OMAP3630 MI

Hi Guys, I tried following the All-in-one guide below having rooted on a previous occasion with i believe the all in one root thing.

Battery OK
OK to Program
Transfer Mode:
USB

Hope someone can help.

Thanks!

edit:

Are you saying your bootloader is 29.01? Are you sure thats right? You have to be on either 30.03 or 30.04 before you can flash the full 2.3.32 SBF. If you can get into clockwork there is a file to update your bootloader HERE and then you should be able to use the full SBF from there.

GMB

Upvote 0
Are you saying your bootloader is 29.01? Are you sure thats right? You have to be on either 30.03 or 30.04 before you can flash the full 2.3.32 SBF. If you can get into clockwork there is a file to update your bootloader and then you should be able to use the full SBF from there.

GMB

Just to share my experience....

You can actually flash the 2.3.32 SBF while on 30.01, as I've done it. For some odd reason I had a tough time getting my bootloader to update, and had to use the leaked 320 .zip update twice to do so, with SBF's in between. I then updated my kernel and radio manually.

I flashed the 2.2 SBF, and that also didn't update my bootloader (not sure why, honestly).

But yeah. That's strange that he's showing 2901 as a bootloader. I bought my X on day zero, and it was 30.01.

If it really is stuck on that, you might want to ask VZW to swap it out, and explain that it won't update OTA for you. They should either be able to flash it to current, or give you a replacement.

Reactions: GrandMasterB
Upvote 0

Battery OK
OK to Program
Transfer Mode:
USB

Hope someone can help.

Thanks!

edit:

I hate to state what might be the obvious, but we don't kstnow where you are
are starting from. If you have and old bootloader version, you have to update. Are you on Android 2.1? Are you even rooted? If you are not, perhaps you can try to update to the current version. On the current version bootloader things may go easier for you. At the very least, we need to know more information in order to help you. Thanks!

Steven

Upvote 0
Hello, I got around the problem by following the following instructions on another thread. Here for anyone who has the issue:

Originally Posted by rezo
Computer engineer here. Registered so I could post this and hopefully help a few of you guys out :cool:

I was running into the same problem, with Win7 x64, RSD Lite 4.6, latest drivers. Did some investigation into the error log and looks like I found a bug in their programming. Go into the directory you installed RSD Lite (for Win7 x64 the default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Motorola\RSD Lite\) and look for a file that starts with "FlashErrorLog". Open it, and if you see something like this:

Code:
Line: 865
ERROR: \\?\c:\SPRecovery_ESE81.sbfwtƒyo

Upvote 0
Hello, I got around the problem by following the following instructions on another thread. Here for anyone who has the issue:

Originally Posted by rezo
Computer engineer here. Registered so I could post this and hopefully help a few of you guys out :cool:

I was running into the same problem, with Win7 x64, RSD Lite 4.6, latest drivers. Did some investigation into the error log and looks like I found a bug in their programming. Go into the directory you installed RSD Lite (for Win7 x64 the default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Motorola\RSD Lite\) and look for a file that starts with "FlashErrorLog". Open it, and if you see something like this:

Code:
Line: 865
ERROR: \\?\c:\SPRecovery_ESE81.sbfwt

Upvote 0
It should have prompted you on first boot if you needed to reactive. Dial *228 and then option#1

GMB

After that, call back and dial *228 and then option #2 to update roaming capability. OR... you can just dial *22899 and have them both done at once. ;)

Upvote 0
Brilliant! U all are brilliant!

as to my other question, am i correct in understanding that my phone is now unrooted?

if so, my steps to proceed are the following.

Root, bootloader, new rom.

or is it bootloader, root then new rom.

Thirdly, any recommendations as to the rom? I have seen a bunch out and can never tell which one.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Because of it's inherent stablity and newbie friendliness, I always recommend ApeX 1.3.

It almost doesn't need a theme because it has a black notification bar already and a gingerbread theme. It runs veeery stably, a fact which I haven't seen other roms do. Don't quote me.

Root your phone with this: Download z4root 1.3.0 for Android Free - z4root will root your device and enable you to supply system level access to applications that request it. - Softpedia

It's easy, you don't need a computer.

Install rom manager and droid x bootloader. When you do that come back for the rest of your instructions. :D

EDIT: d/l your rom of choice and transfer it to your sd card. That you can do now. :D

Reactions: redwood36
Upvote 0
Firstly, download these two apps:

Droid X Recovery Bootstrap - Android app on AppBrain

ROM Manager - Android app on AppBrain

In Rom Mgr select "flash clockworkmod recovery", then select "Motorola Droid X". You should see "Successfully downloaded ClockworkMod recovery!" when it's accomplished. Hit "ok"
In Droid X Bootstrapper:

Select Bootstrap recovery. It should say "success!" Hit "ok"

(obviously, when the programs ask you to grant superuser permissions, grant it)

Go back into Rom Manager and select "Download Rom"
Go to the bottom option "Fabolous" and select it.

Select ApeX V1.3.0 For Droid X and let it download.

At this point, there are two ways to go, I'd go with the easy way first, using Rom Manager, but I'll describe the other way, too.

Meanwhile I'm going to put this up so you can get started...

Continued below.....

Upvote 0
Ok, i ran z4root, 1.3.0 and i got the rom manager. where do i find this bootloader that u speak of. also where can i find the latest version of Apex 1.3?

thirdly, i thought i just got Froyo for speed, is this a different build of froyo or some kind of overlay?

Thanks!

The bootloader was on MDW, as well as the kernel and radio, and system SBF.

There are separate files for them, so you can update manually. I found this to be the best result in the end, for me.

I'm afraid I haven't used ApeX in a while, though it's a very popular ROM, so someone else will be able to direct you, I'm sure.

Upvote 0
In Rom Manager, select "install Rom from SD Card"

Scroll down to the "download" directory and select it.

Select Apex 1.3 (I don't exactly remember the filename, but choose it)

Select "Backup Existing ROM" (checkmark) This will save your current setup in case you don't like the new one or have troubles later on.

Also Select "Wipe Data and Cache"

Then hit OK

Let it do its do. If it works fine. If not, then we need to install ApeX directly through the ClockworkMod recovery as opposed to the Rom Manager graphic user interface.

Let me know. Good luck!

Edit: If the rom won't mount that way, try the way in this link: http://androidforums.com/1926056-post4.html

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for ask the help! I'm downloading 1.3 now and I'll start it back up tomorrow during my morning commute. This whole process see ms to be much more streamlined from when I initially did it. Must nicer hags. The main issue I had originally was with drivers. But that doesn't seem to be much of an issue any more. Either way, thanks a bunch again!

Upvote 0
I actually managed to get everything working as I was going to bed. This process was much easier than what I was initially led to believe was how one goes about it.
Now the whole phone is much snappier. just had to get rid of that Madden and NFS app that seems built in. is there any example of the folder structures that should remain untouched, and what i can get rid of, because between multiple installations I can tell that I have a few things left over from previous versions.
Additionally, any other advice?

Thanks so much again, I dont know why all the other tutorials had to be so complicated when this was so easy!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones