1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

RSS Feed Change?

1. JimShoe

JimShoe New Member

I noticed the rss no longer provides the full article. Is there a new rss with this available?

Advertisement
    :
  2. cmstlist

cmstlist Member

I noticed this too. Despite the fact that Google Reader is getting killed, I will be using it until the day it dies... and now Phandroid is way way less accessible as I have to click to read every article. And it blows on NewsRob now.
  3. ardchoille

ardchoille Well-Known Member

I'm using Taptu and have full articles in feeds. Perhaps give Taptu a try?
  4. cmstlist

cmstlist Member

The issue is that the site itself is no longer including full article text in its RSS feed.
  5. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

Yes I've seen a few complaints on this via email, too. I will ask about this when I talk to Rob tonight.
  6. ardchoille

ardchoille Well-Known Member

I just checked the Phandroid rss feed in my Taptu android app and the Taptu web interface and both seem to be loading full article text for each article.
  7. cmstlist

cmstlist Member

That's irrelevant to the concern at hand. Taptu isn't showing you the text from the RSS feed, then. It's using the RSS feed as a link to show you the full web page.

If you go to the actual RSS feed URL Android Phone Fans and view source you will see that the text excerpts are all cut off with [...]. Whereas the feed for, say, MobileSyrup has full text right in the feed itself.

Many RSS readers rely on the text in the feed as a low-bandwidth version to display first to the user. It's a waste of bandwidth to have to load the full content just to read more than a short paragraph.
  8. JimShoe

JimShoe New Member

Thanks for looking into it. Let us know what you find out.
  9. danh916

danh916 New Member

Has there been any update on this?
  10. cmstlist

cmstlist Member

Still no improvement.
  11. Phases

This isn't going to change back, to my knowledge. I will mention that I'm still seeing complaints, because I am, and ask him to weigh whatever benefits he was hoping to gain against them - and see if we get lucky.

We have another chat in a couple days.
  12. danh916

danh916 New Member

Thanks for following up on this. Sometimes, the articles don't have a whole single sentence, which isn't even a good summary to try and drive traffic to follow through to the website.
  13. cmstlist

cmstlist Member

What this typically means is when I'm reading feeds, if there are 10 Phandroid articles and all I see is a summary sentence I am far more likely to just skip the whole article. If the full text is there I'm more likely to click through to check out comments if it's been an interesting read.
  14. cmstlist

cmstlist Member

Just to update - as of September 5th this looks to have changed back. The RSS feed now shows full article text. Thank you and please keep it this way! :)
    Phases and EarlyMon like this.
  15. Phases