s-off

1. ram1130

ram1130 New Member

i am trying to get s-off on my rooted htc evo 4g. what steps do i take?

Advertisement
  2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!
    here you go:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html

use that guide and you can get s-off. if you have your bootloader unlocked then you will need to use the captain's method. taco root will not work on an unlocked phone.

please feel free to ask if you have any questions.
    Mikestony likes this.
  3. -Mike-

-Mike- Well-Known Member

What's the big deal with "s-off"? I'm 'unlocked' but what will s-off do for me?
  4. -Mike-

-Mike- Well-Known Member

Double post... Mods, delete please.
  5. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ± Moderator

Being s-off allows you to install any PC36IMG file thru bootloader
    Also, it allows you to flash radios.
    Theres something else also that I cannot remember....was it bootanimation? or splash screens?
    ocnbrze and Rxpert83 like this.
  6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Correct, s-off allows for things not signed by HTC to be flashed through the bootloader. Things like recoveries, radios, splashscreens, ext.
    ocnbrze and Mikestony like this.
  7. Mikestony

Are there not alternatives to install things like that, such as Android Flasher or thru adb/fastboot (for recoveries anyway)?
  8. ocnbrze

android flasher should work for splash screens but it will not work for radios and hboot's
    Mikestony likes this.
  9. youdoofus

youdoofus Disabled

are we forgetting to mention ROMs??? And splashscreens are SUPER easy to make!! So if you have a pic you really like, you can make that your splash screen!! Mine is a still of the face with the x's as eyes and slashes for the smile in my avatar :)

and isnt "s-off" pretty much synonymous with "rooted" cuz as far as i can recall, s-off = security off meaning you have the ability to access superuser stuff... correct me if im wrong
  10. youdoofus

youdoofus Disabled

and why the h-e-double hockey sticks isnt my avatar (which is a gif) moving?????
  11. Rxpert83

S off isnt the same as being rooted. Its simply the ability to flash unsigned things through the boot loader. Nothing more, nothing less.

It does make it very easy to gain root access though (by getting a custom recovery and flashing su binaries). You can be s-off without having root access
    tube517, Mikestony and ocnbrze like this.
  12. Mikestony

it moves when I shake my laptop:p
  13. ocnbrze

yes back in the day s-off was what you needed to be fully rooted. but now that htc has unlocked the bootloader, we now have a backdoor way to gain root. without the booloader being unlocked then we would have waited until the devs were able to hack the latest ota and find another exploit to use. but i guess we still do with taco root. it is not automated like revolutionary or unrevoked, but it works.

going forward though we will most likely never get a new revolutionary as we have an unlocked bootloader. just be glad that the kernel is not an issue with an unlocked, s-on phone as it is in with the evo lte. with that phone you have to flash the kernel separately using fastboot commands. easy enough just more of a pain really.
    Ekring67 and Mikestony like this.
  14. youdoofus

youdoofus Disabled

word... i guess i need to get with the htc times LoL
    tube517 and ocnbrze like this.
  15. ram1130

ram1130 New Member

soory for the late reply, but thanks for all the input. I was just wondering because i was using adfree app to get rid of the angry birds ads, of course nothing happened, so i did a small amount of research where it was said to have "s-off". That's all. if there's another way of removing ads other than payin for the app, that would b a great help.
  16. Mikestony

hmmm, have not used that app....I have seen it, never used it.....don't know why you would need s-off to utilize that app?! Sorry I can't help you out there;)
  17. ram1130

ram1130 New Member

well, thanks anyway.
  18. ocnbrze

actually ad free should work on your phone. it does not need s-off. it just needs root permissions in order for it to work which you should have on any rom or if you flashed the su file.
    Mikestony likes this.
  19. ram1130

ram1130 New Member

ok thanks. I also heard about the ADAway app. I'll give that one a try.
    ocnbrze and Mikestony like this.
  20. Rxpert83

Did you actually open the app and update it?
    ocnbrze likes this.