• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S Planner vs Google Calendar App

nav2012

Aug 23, 2012
Toronto
For those that use Gmail as your primary email and Calendar, have you downloaded and used the Google Calendar App ? I just saw it in Playstore and downloaded it. But both S Planner and this App were sending notifications in the Notifications area, so I have disabled S Planner from using calendar data from my gmail account.

I kind of liked the interface of S Planner and the way it shows notifications even when phone is locked. Wondering if Google Calendar app will be able to do that. Just started using it today, so waiting for an appointment even to see how notifications will show up.

I found that S Planner couldn't do some of the intricate planning I needed, so I looked around and ended up paying for "Business Calendar", which I've never regretted. The agenda widget means that I can see all my upcoming events on one of my home screens and, beyond that, it makes entering appointments a breeze - no more thinking that it would be quicker to scribble a note and then enter it later! It's one of those apps which just does what it's meant to do... no fuss, no fancy distractions.

Here's a link to the free version:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwibmV0Z2VuaXVzLmJpemNhbCJd

Upvote 0
anyone using the google calender app? I've found it doesn't play nicely with s planner.

I found with both on the phone and switching notifications off on s planner, everytime I rebooted the phone, s planner notifications came back on. I tried removing accounts or disabling s planner but then nothing showed up on the google calender app. Clearly s planner is fully integrated into touchwiz so can't fully get rid.

So I ditched google calender and went back to s planner only to realise today that my calender sync hasn't worked for the last 5 days. Reinstalled google calender and calender syncing is working again??? So it seems once you put google calender on you can't uninstall it or it messes up sync. Anyone else found the same thing? Maybe 4.1.2 will fix it or I might try a factory reset after the update

Upvote 0
What a coincidence aldo82, I have gone exactly the same route as you. I was getting two notifications...one from S-Planner and one from GCalendar app, even after I turned S-Planner off.

So gave up and removed Google Calendar App. I did initially have some wierd sync issues, but now everything seems to work without having to re-install Google Calendar App.

anyone using the google calender app? I've found it doesn't play nicely with s planner.

I found with both on the phone and switching notifications off on s planner, everytime I rebooted the phone, s planner notifications came back on. I tried removing accounts or disabling s planner but then nothing showed up on the google calender app. Clearly s planner is fully integrated into touchwiz so can't fully get rid.

So I ditched google calender and went back to s planner only to realise today that my calender sync hasn't worked for the last 5 days. Reinstalled google calender and calender syncing is working again??? So it seems once you put google calender on you can't uninstall it or it messes up sync. Anyone else found the same thing? Maybe 4.1.2 will fix it or I might try a factory reset after the update

Upvote 0
I have been using gemini calendar for ages now and am really impressed with it. you can get a free version that does everything you would need. it allows you to select far more options for repeating. I also like the widgets available that allow you to show a few lines corresponding to upcoming events on your homepage. you can have 2 or 4 lines. I have paid for the ad free version but as i said, the free version is sufficient for most.

Upvote 0
I used Google calendar exclusively (2 kids in dance, it takes over your life). It would sync with my computer and I used it every day.

Then I updated to Jelly bean and it was quite a shock to see it missing.

Now that I have everything synced with S Planner, and working the way it should, my only real problem with it now is it is ugly. Beige and brown? really?

I have not reinstalled google calendar yet, I thought about it until I read this thread...

I tried jorte and it always looked too cluttered and tacky and never found it pleasing to look at. S Planner is a good looking app if we could only change the skins.

Upvote 0
I have the same issue... I installed the Google Calendar app to see how it compared to the S planner on galaxy S3 (S planner is better for me since it shows the text of what the events are).

Anyway I uninstalled the google calendar ap and this caused s planner to stop syncing. I reinstalled the google cal. ap and voila... s planner was able to sync again.

Seeing as this is the issue how do we get it addressed??

Upvote 0
Oh my.
*Thank you guys* for sharing your (bad) experiences - I was about to give Google calendar a try on my new S3.
If it messes with the existing calendars, I'll just live without it.

My calendar of choice has been Calengoo (I know, the name sounds like a warning!) which does a hell of a lot of things, it may even be too customizable - but I'm so used to some of its features that I'd find it hard to pass on them.
I thought the interface of S Planner looked clean and clear... but there are these missing features (and those colors...!)

Just one example of what S Planner doesn't do well for me: the popu-up notification (when phone is locked) only displays ONE line of a few words fitting the width of the screen; if, like me, you often write more than just "10am George" (say: "10am George at the bookstore, buy french dictionnary"), it'll display just the beginning, and you can then only choose between dismissing the notification or snoozing it.

Again, thank you all for bringing up the issues with Google calendar.
I'm sure there's at least ONE calendar out there that I would like better than my current Calengoo, but it took me time enough to find it - it works for me, and I won't look for more...
Well *maybe* Business calendar and Gemini, as you guys mentionned them ;)

Upvote 0
Oh my.
*Thank you guys* for sharing your (bad) experiences - I was about to give Google calendar a try on my new S3.
If it messes with the existing calendars, I'll just live without it.

My calendar of choice has been Calengoo (I know, the name sounds like a warning!) which does a hell of a lot of things, it may even be too customizable - but I'm so used to some of its features that I'd find it hard to pass on them.
I thought the interface of S Planner looked clean and clear... but there are these missing features (and those colors...!)

Just one example of what S Planner doesn't do well for me: the popu-up notification (when phone is locked) only displays ONE line of a few words fitting the width of the screen; if, like me, you often write more than just "10am George" (say: "10am George at the bookstore, buy french dictionnary"), it'll display just the beginning, and you can then only choose between dismissing the notification or snoozing it.

Again, thank you all for bringing up the issues with Google calendar.
I'm sure there's at least ONE calendar out there that I would like better than my current Calengoo, but it took me time enough to find it - it works for me, and I won't look for more...
Well *maybe* Business calendar and Gemini, as you guys mentionned them ;)

I saw that Calengoo has pretty high rating, 4.6. I have 3 different Android devices and would like to try it out. "Try before Buy" should come to Android market if the authors want to earn money.

I find S Planner to be very good for my kind of use. It comes closest to BB calendar which I found to be the best.

Upvote 0
I used Google calendar exclusively (2 kids in dance, it takes over your life). It would sync with my computer and I used it every day.

Then I updated to Jelly bean and it was quite a shock to see it missing.

Now that I have everything synced with S Planner, and working the way it should, my only real problem with it now is it is ugly. Beige and brown? really?

I have not reinstalled google calendar yet, I thought about it until I read this thread...

I tried jorte and it always looked too cluttered and tacky and never found it pleasing to look at. S Planner is a good looking app if we could only change the skins.

I use aCalendar+ (paid for but there is also a free version), which is in my view, much better than Google or Samsung calendars. Try it and see. You can always go back to what you've got if you don't like it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones