• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S2 i9100 black screen

Hey guys, first post on this forum,

Was running CM12.1 on my i9100 for about a year or so. All was fine usually I use the integrated CM updater but it seems we had to guess that it was a complete NONO from 12.1 to CM13.

So after the update CM13 worked well BUT I had a dead recovery because it cannot upload zips from SDCARD anymore, and google services were continually crashing. So I decided to start by fixing my RECOVERY so I could atleast have access to reflashing whatever I would need to get it to work properly and after flashing an ISOREC-TWRP Kernel, phone wouldn't boot properly and would always start up trying to OPTIMIZE all my apps and then reset when it was done and start over so I'm working with limited time I decided to reflash a CWM 6.0.5.1 Kernel like we used in the past for CM10,11,12 and that flashed fine through ODIN, but when I restarted the phone now goes to a black screen after showing the samsung logo. I can still access DOWNLOAD MODE but using VOLUME UP, HOME, POWER does not get me into the recovery so what would be the appropriate steps to just get the phone working again?
Thanks alot!

Simplest way would be to the use Kies device restore and initialization feature, you will need to punch in the device model and serial number exactly as it is printed under the battery. It is caps sensitive. The device will be erased and completely returned to stock.

Alternatively you can get a copy of the firmware from Sammobile and Odin flash it back to stock that way.

Either way once fully stock all you should have to do is flash the proper TWRP version using Odin then use TWRP to flash the latest SuperSu.zip and you will be rooted again.

Upvote 0
I managed to flash an OLD CWM kernel/recovery I had (6.0.2.X) and then flashed CM 10.2 and Gapps for jellybeen (Android 4.3)

Phone works fine but I want to go back to atleast 12.1 or 13. What are the right steps to getting this done FROM 10.2, do the guides apply or is there a minimum android version you must already be to allow an upgrade to 12.1 or 13? Thanks forthe replies by the way!

Upvote 0
All you should have to do is flash the rom zip file using TWRP, make sure you use the proper TWRP and rom for your device as there are different models and using the wrong one can brick or cause issues. Don't use the latest TWRP, use version 2.8.7.0 or earlier.

When you are done flashing the rom you desire be sure to wipe the cache/dalvik. If you have nothing to lose regarding data perform a data reset as well.

I always boot the device for the initial setup before flashing any Gapps package, make sure you are using the proper Gapps for the version of Android the rom is using. Flashing gapps for KitKat 4.4.4 on a Lollipop 5 rom will cause all kinds of issues.

If using Clockworkmod you will not have to flash SuperSu, simply enable SU under CM's settings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones