• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root S4 softbricked, Odin firmware flash failing

JoyEnergiser

Lurker
Jul 5, 2016
Hi There! I am trying to fix my brothers s4 phone, it has a boot up loop problem and never gets to the OS.
It can't get into recovery mode (The Volume up + Home + Power) I see some kind of error for a split second and it just restarts
I can get it into download mode (Volume Down + home + power)

So I feel the only option I have is to flash the firmware or recovery mode

So I got Odin3 v3.09(also tried v3.11.1, but same issue)
I got this firmware
http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/d.../XFV/#firmware
the 5.01 version

and when I try flash I get the following errorlog

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> I9500XXUHOH6_I9500XFVHOI1_I9500XXUHOG2_HOME.tar.md 5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/004> sboot.bin
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> FAIL!
<ID:0/004>
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

I have also attempted to flash the recovery with pretty much the same results as above.

Once I have attempted to do this and it fails, the phone cannot be unplugged and plugged back in, it needs to be turned on and off in download mode for the next attempt.

I have not enabled developer mode OR enabled USB debugging as I cannot boot the phone whatsoever, is this what is preventing me from flashing it ?

Also the phone doesn't have an SD card currently, could this also be causing the failure.

Other than that I am all out of idea's

can anyone help please
wink.png

Having Developer Options or USB Debugging off or not enabled should not affect the use of Odin. Same with not having a SD card.
A error when trying to boot into recovery and the flash failing after Nand write start could indicate motherboard failure.
Did you notice if there was a failure message on the phone download screen?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones