• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S4's GPS Receiver for Tracking Location in the Sea? [Urgent]

Sheikh Ovais

Lurker
Jun 2, 2016
Hi guys,

Would you please help me figure out if there's a way to use Galaxy S4's GPS receiver for tracking location in the Sea?

To be exact, my brother is a sailor, and he spends most of his time in the sea with no cellular connectivity.

Is there a way I can locate his position from home? Like an app that uses GPS location on that phone to locate in the map where it actually is?

I need your prompt input for this question. This really is a big concern for us.

Thanks a ton in advance!

Cell phones need Cell Towers to carry signals. GPS uses the Satellites. When you use your phone GPS/Location it obviously relies on cell towers to locate your signal to pin point your location. I don't think the common cell phone will be capable of supplying a strong enough signal to cover the oceans between cell towers. Someone may have a better answer but I don't think it's possible with a cell phone.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones