• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S6 Edge will not auto rotate

cc92

Lurker
Apr 10, 2015
First, the screen rotation is on. But photos, webpages, most apps will not auto rotate when I turn my phone landscape. Only app that it works in is you tube, when you view the video in full screen. Then it tends to lock up and get stuck. I've done all the software updates, rebooted a dozen times, turned auto rotation on and off .... any advice?

After a few hours of getting it yesterday, my screen stopped rotating also. Also, when I open the camera, all the camera options on the screen are upside down. When I take the picture, it is displayed upside down as well. I've re-booted, done a factory reset, still with no luck. I didn't make any changes and don't know how this happened. It was working fine for a little while.

Update: Just got done talking with Samsung support. We tried resetting and all that. She told me to take it back and get a new one.

Update #2: Went to Verizon today and they replaced my phone. Rep told me there will most likely be several software updates from Samsung since the phone is new and to be sure to do them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
As others have stated, by using the hardware test, you can see that the accelerometer is stuck. To verify, enter "*#0*#" in your phone app to enter hardware test mode. Touch "Sensor". The X, Y and Z for the accelerometer must all change in rapid succession as you rotate your phone. If any are stuck on 32767 or -32768, you have a HARDWARE problem which cannot be fixed by updates of software/firmware of ANY kind.

I'm on my 3rd S6 edge. It appears that they work out of the box but if you do a fast charge (making the battery very hot), the accelerometer chip seems to break. It might be the placement of the chip in relation to the battery, or it's possible that the chip maker just had a bad batch. Not sure if Samsung is using Invensense chips or not but I'm sure this is going to be something more than a little problem for Samsung and the chip maker if the numbers grow. It's possible this is only on the edge, which would lower the problems for Samsung.

Upvote 0
I think the only way to resolve this is with a replacement. I've tried everything. even turning the edge display off. I find it hard to believe that an update can fix this. I wouldn't say it's the fast charge making it hot because wouldn't that affect y and z in the Test also? Bad batch I reckon. Although when I shake my phone there is something moving inside haha.

Upvote 0
Took my edge to sprint and they told me i have to get a new phone, or wait for an update to fix the problem.
Update:1- Just got my second edge today and just awhile ago the auto rotation stopped working. Great now the decision to exchange it again or just get the regular s6....Note this time its stuck in the virtical postion, after dialing *#0*# x,y, and z axes are working fine

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones