• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S8 turned off while charging and wouldn't turn back on

jthi

Lurker
Feb 22, 2018
My Galaxy S8 turned off on its own overnight while charging. I was using the original charging base and cable that came with the phone in the box. When I woke up (to not my alarm since the phone wasn't on), the phone wouldn't respond and the green led light, indicating it was fully charged, was lit.

I disconnected it from the charger and, weirdly, the led light remained on. I tried pressing the power button a few times and pressing towards the bottom of the screen that would usually wake it up and nothing. No haptic feedback. Nothing. The led light remained on.

I then connected it into my laptop to see if I could get a response that way or at least see if I could back up my files and still nothing. I disconnected it. The led light was still on.

In desperation, I started pressing buttons and remembered seeing before that I could start it in safe mode by pressing the power and volume down and FINALLY it turned on. I didn't have to hold them down for very long either. The led light turned off as soon as it started booting. I didn't continue through with rebooting in safe mode just to see what would happen.

It booted up fine and is acting completely normally now. It had 100% battery at start and hasn't diminished abnormally.

My concern now is what made it shut down on its own and then not turn on in the first place? Because it wasn't a big deal that I missed my alarm this morning, but it will be in the future. Honestly, the weirdest part of it all was that the led light stayed on when not connected to anything. I'm just trying to avert the problem in the future.

This happens from time to time with any phone. The truth is that there is no way of really telling what happened, or why. In the old days, a battery pull would fix it, but with non-removable batteries, you have to simulate a battery pull by pressing and holding the power button for 15-30 seconds or until the phone reboots.

Now if it becomes consistently repeatable, then you've got a problem.

Reactions: Shotgun84
Upvote 0
A simulated battery pull on the S8 is power and volume down for 10 seconds or so.

Luna is right though (unfortunately, he usually is), if it's just a one off, there should be nothing to worry about.

Are you on Oreo (Android 8.0) per chance, I gather there have been some random reboot/power issues with that.

Upvote 0
I'm familiar with the "battery pull" reboot. I've had to do it before with my previous phone(s). This time, though, it turned off on its own while I was asleep and didn't turn back on. And to actually get the phone to boot, I pressed the button combination for the battery pull, but definitely nowhere near the 10 seconds usually needed. Had I initiated the battery pull on my own, I would've had zero concerns. I'm just so perplexed because I've never had any of my phones, this model or previous, do anything like this just completely out of nowhere. Usually, there's some kind of indication something's not quite right before something happens.

I knew Oreo was coming soon (I'm pretty sure it hasn't been rolled out for AT&T yet, which is my network) and had actually wondered just a bit ago if it had done the software update during the middle of the night and then restarted but never actually booted back up, but I checked and I'm still on Nougat.

I definitely have my fingers crossed that it's just a one-off, but I'm definitely setting extra alarms elsewhere for now!

Thank you both for your input!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones