• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung ear buds for S5, almost no audio out

AZgl1500

Extreme Android User
Feb 3, 2011
Oklahoma grasslands
I've had my S5 since 4/11/2014 and just today opened up the little baggie with the ear buds. I was curious if I could use them to hear my GPS mapping apps.

But, before I got that far, I immediately noticed that there was just about zero sound from them. My left ear has 25 dB loss, so that side was "dead", no audio for me at all.

My right ear is about 10 dB loss but I am still able to hold reasonably normal conversations with folks. The right ear bud was just barely audible to me making those things totally useless.

The 2nd thing I noticed is that the plug does not stay put in the earphone jack. The slightest wiggle and all audio is lost period. I was hoping to use the ear buds to listen to my CoPilot GPS app while riding a motorcycle..... but that isn't going to happen, they are just too fragile. Unfortunately, mapping apps only output audio to the phone's speaker or earpiece, not to the bluetooth system. what a design flaw that is.

I threw them in the trash. I use a Blue Parrott trucker's headset on nearly all phone calls as it frees up my hands for other things. I have no difficulty hearing phone calls on either ear with the BT headset....

So, is it just my one set of ear buds that are junk, or is this typical for the OEM supplied ear buds?

Thank you for that tip on the Bose earbuds, I will check into that.

I am also looking into EdSets for a complete helmet comm setup.

Right now, I am researching to see what fits my Social Security check budget :)

Just tried the OEM earbuds on the dekstop PC and they work just fine. So it would seem that the S5 audio out jack isn't working well. I'm not going to pursue it any further, the rest of the phone works perfect, and it is a minor issue that I have never tried to use in a year of using this phone.

That puts it in the "can't be bother with" category.

I will figure something out... thanks for the hint on the Bose stuff.
I love my Bose noise canceling headsets for music...

Upvote 0
Hey, it's always a pleasure talking to a technically competent, trucker and biker. I sold my 2000 Fat Boy last year and really miss it.

I'm a retired 911 comm tech from Phx Fire. I love my recent acquisition, a '02 GL1800 and anxious for the ice and snow to melt so I can get the ole girl out and ride.

here is my latest hobby addition

20150120_112254.jpg

Upvote 0
I have owned two GL1500s, the first one was a '94SE and rode it about 3 years. Then one day going home from work, an 18 wheeler decided to do a 90 degree left from lane 1 and go thru the HOV lane where I was. He ended up riding the top of the concrete median barrier, and I spent 4 days in a coma, plus 8 more days in ICU...

Then 3 years later (after lawyer let me) I bought a 1998 GL1500SE and rode it several years... had to sell it against my wishes (short of cash crunch)...

The 1500s weigh about 880 dry.... Once you get used to them, they ride like a sport bike, and yes, if you want instant "pass it now" power, you down shift one gear and hit the throttle wide open and zoom. Or, 2 down and let it go to 6,000 RPMs. in the 4000+ RPM range it handles like a crotch rocket.... I have followed guys on Ninja bikes thru the twisties with my '94SE with it taching 4500 to 6000 RPM all the way up Palomar Mountain in California.... I kept it in 2nd or 3rd gear and that flat six just sweetly sings a song.....

The Ninja guys would always be surprised that a 1,000 lb monster could "almost keep up" thru those twisties, I would be stopped with them in maybe 15 to 30 seconds at the end of a run.

The 1800s like I have now, have a much lower center of gravity, lots of power, and will burn the tires in 2nd gear easily.

here is a friend of mine on his 1800

Upvote 0
For riding, I use these... I can't say enough good things about my Meelectronics earphones... Stay put, sound great, and not overly expensive... if you're having issues with your jack, you could always go the BT route... there are some very reasonable selections out there as well.
http://www.meelec.com/Sport_Fi_M6P_s/437.htm

Should mention too, you can put certain tips on that will make them sound isolating pretty much, the tips I use, I can hear the music well, but can also hear traffic around me, like a car coming up in my blindspot, while on the highway.

Reactions: AZgl1500
Upvote 0
For riding, I use these... I can't say enough good things about my Meelectronics earphones... Stay put, sound great, and not overly expensive... if you're having issues with your jack, you could always go the BT route... there are some very reasonable selections out there as well.
http://www.meelec.com/Sport_Fi_M6P_s/437.htm

Should mention too, you can put certain tips on that will make them sound isolating pretty much, the tips I use, I can hear the music well, but can also hear traffic around me, like a car coming up in my blindspot, while on the highway.

Thank you, thank you for that link.... I do believe you have solved my problem. I do NOT want a bunch of expensive hardware to give me audio in my helmet.

I will have to investigate the jack on my phone, maybe I just wasn't pushing hard enough to seat the plug down solid. After all, the OEM earbuds work fine on my PC.

edit: I just ordered up a set.
. tnx

Upvote 0
The 2nd thing I noticed is that the plug does not stay put in the earphone jack. The slightest wiggle and all audio is lost period. I was hoping to use the ear buds to listen to my CoPilot GPS app while riding a motorcycle..... but that isn't going to happen, they are just too fragile. Unfortunately, mapping apps only output audio to the phone's speaker or earpiece, not to the bluetooth system. what a design flaw that is.

Is that a design flaw(feature) of the S5? The phones I've used, GPS app voice instructions do come through Bluetooth, with a Lenovo P700i, Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, and Oppo Find 7.

Upvote 0
Damn, I gave up bikes after wiping out several times, but nothing like what you went through. My kudos for popping right back on the "horse".
Appreciate the videos, I can see why the GL has such a dedicated following. Did not realize the power crammed in your 1800.
I will now ,always look at the relatively rare GL sighting with great respect.

Cheers

It has been a few days, but I have looked through a dozen hard drives to find my accident pictures, all to no avail.... then I happened to think, maybe I stuck them up on PhotoBucket which I used to use a lot. Wonder if that account is still alive?

Sure enough, they don't kill old accounts, so if anyone has any interest at all in broken motorcycles, here are some links.

http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/Dryheat2012/media/Accident/68570016.jpg.html?sort=3&o=6

Now why would a truck driver want to go across the wall?
http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/Dryheat2012/media/Accident/68570076.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

This used to be my beautiful beast of burden, but I never felt her in my hands again. Some salvage yard owns her now, or she has been melted down.
http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/Dryheat2012/media/Accident/68570054.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/Dryheat2012/media/Accident/68570049.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

If any of you do ride motorcycles, I hope that you all wear ATGATT.

That means, All The Gear, All The Time.

I don't leave the driveway unless I am in full ballistic body armour ATGATT style.

Upvote 0
I have some photos of my bare shaved head and the scars that were present then, I chose not to link to those.

Nothing pretty there at all.
The doctors said that the only way for me to "fix" my short term memory was to "get involved" with working with puzzles, interfacing with people, trying to solve math problems, etc...

I was already on motorcycle forums and chose to jump in with both feet, and try to answer every problem folks posted about.

That meant, that I had to read and read and read.... I have a mechanical background having been raised in a machine shop with my dad. I have been a Ham Radio operator since 1958, and took electronics classes in college... so that was the "Long Term" memory which still worked.

Doc explained that Long term, and Short term memories are only "Short Term" that is reinforced again, and again, and again, and etc..... so, the forums became my reinforcement.

I babble a lot, that is a sign of Brain Damage also.... :p

but, as a child, I was raised by mom to help others, then mom experienced breast cancer when I was age 8, so grandma came to live with us, and I learned how to cook, clean a house, and do the laundry... and being the oldest of 4 kids...... and with dad working 3 jobs to pay the bills..... it fell on me to make things work. :thinking:

Upvote 0
Hey, I feel like shit. I hope you know I was only joking about the brain damage. It's difficult to imagine what you went through. Congratulations on coming out like a champ.

I knew exactly what you meant, and I just carried the joke on further.
You are good with me, I enjoy repartee like this.... this is what kept me alive and scrambling to get back "to normal" whatever that means. :rolleyes:

I know we have deviated a long ways from the OP, but that is just the nature of forums.

sending you a PM, the link is not to be put on this forum.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Thank you, thank you for that link.... I do believe you have solved my problem. I do NOT want a bunch of expensive hardware to give me audio in my helmet.

I will have to investigate the jack on my phone, maybe I just wasn't pushing hard enough to seat the plug down solid. After all, the OEM earbuds work fine on my PC.

edit: I just ordered up a set.
. tnx
Which did you order? The m6? They are well made and their customer service is fantastic. I had an issue once with a sport set with one side sounding muffled. Once I cut the wire to prove I wouldn't try to sell em, they expressed me a new set.
The next thing I plan on doing is getting custom molds made for my ears , that I can use as tips on these. I ride half helmet and they stay put.
Damnit, now I just want to get out and ride!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am inviting you to come meet us on a ride tomorrow,
Wed 3/11/2015...
short notice I know, but we have been planning it for two weeks now.
Wx is going to be 75* F and zero precip...., zero clouds for that matter... :D

We are meeting at 12 noon to have lunch at...........
Dutch Pantry, some down home Amish cooking....
pies that will make you drool...

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/241/1138670/restaurant/Oklahoma/Dutch-Pantry-Chouteau

Upvote 0
Which did you order? The m6? They are well made and their customer service is fantastic. I had an issue once with a sport set with one side sounding muffled. Once I cut the wire to prove I wouldn't try to sell em, they expressed me a new set.

I forget the exact model name, oh, they sent me an email:

EP-M6P2-OG-MEE Sport-Fi® M6P Memory Wire In-Ear Headphones with Microphone, Remote, and Universal Volume Control (Orange, second generation)

Upvote 0
FWIW, need to go bike riding today, and from previous comments here, I decided that I will use the OEM earbuds again...

This time I decided that since I am not getting any audio, that the jack must be a really tight fit, so I pushed HARD! and then felt a 'click'.

Pulled down Notification Bar and it showed Earphones and a prompt for Music, Youtube, etc....

so, I now know that the S5 jack on my phone does work, and the OEM earbuds plug is really tight.... now to see if they will fit under my helmet for today's bike ride.... they feel awfully intrusive on my ear canal.

Anxious to receive the new Meelectronics earphones that I ordered over the weekend.

Upvote 0
I too felt that "wiggle room" and the plug literally fell out of the S5 jack the first few times I tried it.

This morning, I was "damned if it will or damned if it won't" and decided to push down HARDER... that was when I felt the OEM earbuds plug "click" and then I tugged on the plug and it is really snug "now".

I used CoPilot USA mapping app for my Turn by Turn and the audio did indeed come thru the earbuds, but it ALSO is heard thru the speakerphone. I find this interesting... not sure what to think about that one.

i like that CoPilot does NOT use any DATA at all in use, it has the maps already resident on the phone/extSDcard (whichever place you put them). Makes for a snappy app....

I have some issues with CoPilot, it does NOT want you to take alternate routes, and it refused to do a "recalculate" for more than 10 miles today.

It finally quit insisting that i turn around about 25 miles later and then started to give proper directions for the alternate scenic route I wanted to take. That app can use some upgrading on the menu system, kind of clunky to make it do what you want.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones