Samsung Epic 4G for Sprint announced..

Last Updated:

1. momentoid

momentoid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Samsung Epic 4g Coming To Sprint Samsung Newsroom

- a Galaxy S™ smartphone

"America’s First 4G-Capable Phone with Slide-out QWERTY Keyboard and Brilliant Super AMOLED Touchscreen Samsung Epic 4G brings a living room entertainment experience to a mobile phone, offering HD-like video through the first video store with movies and TV shows, optimized for a 4G handset for rental or purchase"

"also features:
    - a slide out, full QWERTY keyboard and 4-inch Super AMOLED touchscreen display.
    - Samsung 1GHz Cortex A8 Hummingbird Application Processor supports amazing 3-D graphics, faster upload and download times and the full richness of HD-like multimedia content.
    - Dual camera: 5 MP camera/camcorder with autofocus, Power LED flash and 3x digital zoom for HD video3 (720p) video recording and front facing VGA camera for video chat and more
    - Visual Voicemail
    - Mobile Hotspot capability supporting up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices to share the 4G experience simultaneously
    - Android Market™ for access to more than 50,000 useful applications, widgets and games available for download to customize the experience
    - Wi-Fi

Advertisement
  2. globalninja

globalninja Well-Known Member

ahhh. Im gonna wait till my upgrade in december to see if it has the same problems as the moment (data lock ups) If it has problem that can be resolved through software then this is my next phone.

3. Jim W

Jim W Well-Known Member

I guess this explains choice for not doing the 2.2 upgrade on the Moment. lol

**edit**

Now that I am reading the article, is this just the Galaxy S "pro" renamed Epic?

4. Bigprimo

Bigprimo Well-Known Member

yup! I wouldn't be surprised if this is also replacing the Moment 2!

5. Bigprimo

Bigprimo Well-Known Member

I cant wait to upgrade!

6. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

1500mah battery still. Here's hoping they worked out the management a little better.

7. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator

It looks like Samsung is putting a Galaxy S variant on every carrier. I've softened my stance a bit on Samsung. After the cl14 debacle, I was dead set against ever buying another Samsung phone. Still, I'm not interested until there's proof of no radio lockup issues, greatly improved gps reception and that touchwiz has been removed by the hacking community before I'll consider this phone. I too am concerned with the battery size. With hardware performance going over the top in recent models, I'd like to see the manufacturers get serious about improving battery life.

8. SoulTerror

SoulTerror Well-Known Member

Looks the same as the Moment for the most part as well.

9. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Well-Known Member

I think this is the 'droid I've been looking for...

-SF

[yeah, yeah... I know. groan...]

BrianFX likes this.
  10. cds0699

cds0699 Well-Known Member

Can you please explain whats wrong with touchwiz?

11. globalninja

globalninja Well-Known Member

Most of us prefer vanilla android because it allows for better and wider customization. Plus the App menu looks suspiciously close to the iphone's.....if im gonna have a android phone I want it to be unique not like the other.

12. cds0699

Fair enough, thats understandable. The only reason I asked is because I looked around on youtube and the Touchwiz 3.0 UI actually looks kinda nice to me.

13. ub3r-l33ch

ub3r-l33ch Well-Known Member

So... I didn't see a release date. Is there one?

14. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I like it too. I like Sense too, I like Blur too. lol Granted its this new version thats out now...

15. wodin6

wodin6 Well-Known Member

I am also looking forward to touchwiz 3.0 if it works as well as the promo video's make it out to. Vanilla android is too plain and lacks the "new tech" feel to me. It's simple to its core and seems to me like it was made that way so that it was easy for OEMs to add their own flavor. And I know it delays updates, but as long as this gets Froyo's performance boost, I don't care about updates beyond that (besides fixes).

Supposedly gingerbread will improve the user experience, so I'm looking forward to that too.

16. pooginowski

pooginowski Active Member

No release date yet

17. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator

Nothing specific thought 2.0 and before looked awful. I feel the same about sense, motoblur, etc. I don't mind playing with the interfaces, but I want the ability to turn them off, which hasn't always been the case.

18. wodin6

wodin6 Well-Known Member

I think it looks slick, but want to see it in person or in a review first. Every review site loves to focus on the hardware and Android, but not what makes this phone stand out for the user experience.

YouTube - Samsung TouchWiz 3.0 User Interface (Galaxy S & Wave S8500)

19. SoulTerror

SoulTerror Well-Known Member

That's cool looking! I want!

20. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

21. cds0699

The multi touch/pinch zoom is real nice, I also like how it shows the url at the top of the browser. Also looks really responsive and fast.

22. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

Is there anyway to get that Avatar movie thats on the Vibrant onto the Epic 4G? (or would a google search turn up the exact same HD version on it?)

23. steveholtam

steveholtam Member

Could Sense be put on a Samsung phone and vice versa?

24. gzeshDP

gzeshDP Member

My ponderings exactly.... Can sense UI be ported to this phone? Although my knowledge of dev on the android platform is extremely limited/nonexistent, judging by what has been ported between carriers/phones already, I don't see why it wouldn't be able to (with requisite root, of course). I have been unhealthily obsessing over anything and everything Evo 4g awaiting the day I purchase it (iPhone contract just about over), but I have to admit that although the large screen real-estate of 4.3" was very enticing, all pitfalls and qualms are addressed and improved upon with the Epic 4g.... not to mention a frickin hardware keyboard. I'm just happy it is 4" rather than 3.5/3.7; it's seemingly a great compromise. Can't wait to for this badboy to hit Sprint....hopefully sooner than later. News on this please, Sprint?

25. anonymous2

anonymous2 Active Member

I'm willing to give Touchwiz 3 a try. It just might be something new & refreshing. I do like HTC's Sense ui, however. I'm really looking forward to seeing the phone in action some more, and messing with it in a store.