• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy 3 GT-I5800

I have the Samsung Galaxy GT-I5800 using GSM SIM T-Mobile card here in California.

This mobile phone is Android 2.1. Can you please tell me how to upgrade to Android 2.2? Where to get this firmware? Is your phone runs well after upgrade?

Is your GPS operate correctly and within reasonable speed? Mine is very slow and sometime GPS just hang and unable to get readings.

I am getting a new 8GB flash card.
For backup and emergency, can you please tell me how I can reload the entire software for this phone?

Thank you.

As of yet there is no firesure way to backup your entire phone. But there are tons of custom 2.2 ROMs available on XDA forums. I'll give you the link:
Galaxy 3 Android Development - xda-developers

Check out people's work, and there are guides on that forum, like this one:
Samsung Galaxy 3 (I5801/I5800) Flashing Guide - xda-developers

Personally, after flashing to 2.2, I have longer battery life, better functionality, APPS2SD, rooted phone, customized themes, customized EVERYTHING, etc.

So there are a lot of bonuses. Plus the developers are extremely responsive. Personally I use Lestatious v1.1 ROM. It's the best one I've used so far. A couple bugs, but I've fixed most of them on my phone.

Upvote 0
I understand Andorid 2.3 is out. My Android is still running on its original 2.1. Should wait for 2.3 available for this phone and not upgrade to 2.2 at this time?

I understand 2.2 is major benefit, particularly for GPS, compare to 2.1.
Is 2.3 so much better compare to 2.2?

Yes, I can wait. Thank you.

You won't ever see 2.3 on this phone.

As for the LEstatious ROM, you can find it here:
[ROM] The Lestatious ROM v1.2.1 Released (NO ODIN) - xda-developers

Upvote 0
Model Number: GT-5801
Firmware Version: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: I5801ZHJH1
Kernel Version: 2.6.29
whkwak93.id@SE-5506 #2
Build Number: ECLAIR.ZHJH1

So, is Android 2.2 much better in fixing the GPS problem? Because so far, the GPS is pretty much useless for this device. The GPS search just sitting there for hours without getting any results.

Upvote 0
Can i install this using this method? androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-apollo-3/256968-upgrade-android-2-1-eclair-2-2-froyo-your-samsung-gt-i5800-7-easy-steps.html

Yes you probably can. I'm pretty sure Lestat has it set up that way for convenience.

And no, I mean ROM. It is Flashable memory, yes. But it's actually called a ROM, because it's firmware on the "read-only" sector of the phone.

Upvote 0
barqers, please can you help me to install the lestatious software,
i downloaded the v1.2 base rom, and it downloaded as a "7Z" file.
i opened up ODIN and selected the "one package" option, there was no "tar, md5" file for me to select, and the 7Z file did not work.
i opened the 7Z file and extracted some RFS and BIN files but still dont know what to do...

which file should i select for the "one package" option and where can i find it?

Thanks in advance Craig

Upvote 0
barqers, please can you help me to install the lestatious software,
i downloaded the v1.2 base rom, and it downloaded as a "7Z" file.
i opened up ODIN and selected the "one package" option, there was no "tar, md5" file for me to select, and the 7Z file did not work.
i opened the 7Z file and extracted some RFS and BIN files but still dont know what to do...

which file should i select for the "one package" option and where can i find it?

Thanks in advance Craig

Hey Craig,

When you download Lestatious 1.2 he zipped in it a .7Z file. So what you have to do is right click the file, and say extract here. It should extract a .tar file. Using 7-zip of course.

That's the file you have to use in ODIN. And you flash as "One package"

Edit:: And nope, lestatious framework is already in there. It's a minor improvement over the stock frameworks. I'd leave it as it is unless you think it's ugly :p

Upvote 0
I have the same phone and carrier. GPS is not working. I think the frequencie for T-mobile 3G is not compatible with this model. Only 2G works. I guess that's why your GPS is not working.

I have the Samsung Galaxy GT-I5800 using GSM SIM T-Mobile card here in California.

This mobile phone is Android 2.1. Can you please tell me how to upgrade to Android 2.2? Where to get this firmware? Is your phone runs well after upgrade?

Is your GPS operate correctly and within reasonable speed? Mine is very slow and sometime GPS just hang and unable to get readings.

I am getting a new 8GB flash card.
For backup and emergency, can you please tell me how I can reload the entire software for this phone?

Thank you.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem on three (uk). I found a solution on these forums but it is a bit of a cludge really rather than a valid workaround.

1. Type *#*#1472365#*#* into the dialler
2. This takes you into GpsSetup2
3. It will then ask you to Turn on GPS (do so then hit the back key to get back to the GpsSetup2 menu)
4. Goto Commands--> Get Position and press start GPS

GPS will then start no problems and get a pretty quick fix. Be warned, simply turning off GPS if using this method won't turn it off. You have to go back in and press Stop GPS.

I'm hoping Froyo puts an end to this!

N.B. I'm an unbranded galaxy 3 on the three network, not a three branded phone

Upvote 0
I've also got the phone on the 3 network in the UK, last week I got the official 2.2 froyo update from the kies software that came with the phone. I use the gps regularly, but to begin with, I diddn't have the wifi turned on and it hunted for ages. Now I put on wifi and gps together and it works superbly.

the only problem I have had is that it gets vey hot in the car when is is powered from the lighter socket and the screen on full brightness, and it has locked up twice so far. turning it off and on sorted it though, now I put screen on half brighness and have had no further lock ups.

hope this helps,
marcel

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones