• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

samsung galaxy 5 or lg optimus one????

hey guys,
after reading a lot on galaxy 5 and optimus one,i m confused which one to pick.galaxy 5 does have an edgse of less price but i need froyo.Also,ihave read alot about hangingand restarting problems inoptimus one as well as galaxy5 on this forum.
both the handsets have some serious problems.what to do plz help
i require a phone with android os and good internet speed as well as good screen
plz reply
thnx inadvance

I checked the forums and I don't see much complaints. Once in a while, every phone has their complainers since there is always random bad hardware.

Ive seen both the Galaxy 5 and the Optimus One, and the Optimus One is just the better phone. If you want the Galaxy 5 go ahead, but you have been advised.

Upvote 0
I favor the Optimus One because it has a 320x480 screen, which is a standard Android resolution. This has better support among Android apps. The Galaxy 5 uses a 400x240 resolution that is non standard. That may have some issues with apps like games.

The second is that Android 2.2 on the Optimus One is faster than the Android 2.1 on the Galaxy 5.

The third is that Optimus One is more likely to upgrade to Android 2.3. Samsung's record on upgrades hasn't been very good and requires that you use the finicky Samsung Kies PC software to do it. Based on previous record, LG updated its low end GT540 Optimus from 1.6 to 2.1.

In any case, Skyfire should be available for both phones.

Also personally I handled both phones and the G5 feels plasticky and cheaper than the OP1.

Upvote 0
Go for Optimus one without a second thought - it is just too good! I have been using this phone for over a month now and i'm crazy abt it! believe me, i spent about one hour each day for about three months on researching abt andoid phones and chose optimus one at last. At this price range- there's nothing to beat this. My friend got the Samsung Glaxy S for 27k and is now crying on not getting the froyo update yet. I've filled the 2gb card and the phone memory to brim with apps and have not experienced a single moment of abnormal lag on the phone yet! Five of my friends got this phone on my advice and they are very happy with the phone. with a 2.1 on the phone ,u cannot install more than a bunch of apps on ur phone and ur android phone is of not much use/fun without the hundreds of apps in the market which u can install only if u have a froyo on ur phone - installing in the card, i mean. The display resolution of the optimus is also far better than glaaxy 5. I may sound a bit too excited, but believe me - u can't help hide this excitement and pride with all the crowd and exclamations that the Optimus one attracts :)

Regarding the transfer of the apps from the stock sd card to another, i think u can just take a back up on a pc and transfer it to ur new card though i'm not sure if any technical issues arise :)

Upvote 0
Just to swim against the tide for a minute!

I love my Galaxy S - no problems updating to Froyo via Kies (which is a bit of a pain it must be said)

No hanging or lag that I've noticed.

The screen is great, I keep finding great things it can do (which probably goes for the LG as well I suppose)

I didn't really look at the LG, only compared the Galaxy with the Desire.

I've just added an extra 8Gb SD card to the standard ionternal 8Gb card and loaded laods of music - just enjoying playing with Poweramp.

Trouble is its such a timewaster :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Just to swim against the tide for a minute!

I love my Galaxy S - no problems updating to Froyo via Kies (which is a bit of a pain it must be said)

No hanging or lag that I've noticed.

The screen is great, I keep finding great things it can do (which probably goes for the LG as well I suppose)

I didn't really look at the LG, only compared the Galaxy with the Desire.

I've just added an extra 8Gb SD card to the standard ionternal 8Gb card and loaded laods of music - just enjoying playing with Poweramp.

Trouble is its such a timewaster :rolleyes:

I wonder if I've misread this somewhere! Are we talking about the Galaxy S or 5? If 5 I've never heard of it!
Galaxy S has 800x480 resolution so I assume we are talking about a different phone?

Upvote 0
hey guys,
after reading a lot on galaxy 5 and optimus one,i m confused which one to pick.galaxy 5 does have an edgse of less price but i need froyo.Also,ihave read alot about hangingand restarting problems inoptimus one as well as galaxy5 on this forum.
i require a phone with android os and good internet speed as well as good screen
plz reply
thnx inadvance

read my experience with the optimus and nexus one my dad and i bought. Android Lounge - Android Forums

Upvote 0
read my experience with the optimus and nexus one my dad and i bought. Android Lounge - Android Forums
bro i dont know wat to say to you after reading ur android review

u buy a smartphone only when u need a lot of features if u want just a simple phone go for any low end mobiles

also if android had been so much bad,thw whole world wouldn't have gone crazy about it

Upvote 0
does rooting your lg op1 lapses warranty???
is it possible to root after u update to 2.3??
what are disadvantages of rooting?

They wrote on the manual that installing an os ovies than the one that came with the lg voids the warranty. I still don't get why rooting is necessary, why root? mostly in linux and unix-likes, being root is discouraged so why is it this time it's encouraged?

Upvote 0
does rooting your lg op1 lapses warranty???
is it possible to root after u update to 2.3??
what are disadvantages of rooting?
1. Rooting theoretically voids your warranty. But in pretty much all cases it's very easy to unroot. I have never read anyone's phone being deniced warranty service because of root. It is a risk, but imho a low risk.

2. No one knows for sure after 2.3, but the answer is likely to be a very strong YES. The Devs are great and Google is not completely anti-rooting.

3. The disadvantages of rooting are the potential voiding of the warranty, and the potential to install malicious apps that trick users into granting it root access to do nefarious things to your phone. Both are very unlikely scenarios and pretty much unheard of in the real world, thus far.

Reactions: farzi
Upvote 0
first of all thnx to everyone who has commented on this thread and helped me make a choice.
i bought optimus
i need a little more help from u guys
pls tell me any free mobile tracker for my phone.
i downloaded lookout but its asking to upgrade to premium
mobile defence is available in beta so its not downloadable

and also i m in search for mozilla firefox for this phone
plz reply!!!
thnx in advance

Upvote 0
hey guys
there r gew probs with op1
1.it doesnot hav any option for video setting
2.music setting or u cn say equaliser
3.as on the gsmarena site it's specs ay it has java midp2,but doesnt supports running java application.
4.how to apply themes?,i downloaded few themes and installed them,but when i apply them it says 'this is a skin for open home.visit betterandroid.wordpress.com'
n wen i vivit this site it show 404not found error.
i m not able to run anythemes plz help!!!!
thnx in advance

Upvote 0
hey guys,
plz reply
thnx inadvance

I did a lot of research and then got the LG Optimus One. Am happy with my choice.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones