• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy Nexus not updating back to 4.2.1 after returning from repair

ni7tro

Lurker
Feb 6, 2013
London
Hi Guys,

Was wondering if anyone could give me some help or advice.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Nexus from Vodafone in England as soon as the phone came out in Winter 2011.

I*received the 4.2.1 update pretty much as soon as it came out in November last year.

I broke the screen and got it sent off for repair last month. When it came back I was told the phone would be wiped and returned to stock condition and updated to the latest version once I turned it on and completed the initial setup.

When I got it back it was updated to 4.1.1 but every time I checked for updates it said it was up to date with the latest version

There were additional problems with the phone and I had to get it sent off another 3 times, but each time I got it back it did the exact same thing: updated to 4.1.1 and said there were no updates available

I just went back today and was told they couldn't fix the faults and gave me a refurbished version of the same phone.. but again it is doing the exact same thing.

Do I have to wait a certain amount of time before it will let me update to 4.2? I've read about rooting and firmware but prefer not to go through that if the phone will automatically detect it.

Thanks for you help,

Amit

Try clearing the data for google services framework application (settings/apps/all). Right after that, check for the update (when connected to data of course).

You may have to try this a few times - no guarantees, but this usually helps a lot of folks in getting their updates.

Upvote 0
I'd also check what build the device is. Its possible they flashed a different variant than you had originally and that is why its not updating. I think you can verify the build through maps > settings > about > platform. It should be yakju or yakjuwx or something like that. If its not yakju, it will depend on your carrier to update it. If you can't force it through the framework trick you can flash the google direct yakju build yourself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones