• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000: Static in Ear

akrebecca

Lurker
Mar 28, 2011
I have looked and maybe I have not used the right words, but have not found answers. I have static noise in my ear only when I talk on the phone. No problem with Pandora or any other features, only phone calls. Does not matter who I am talking with. I have changed phones. The first Galaxy had horrible static noise. The second just a bit, but still enough to distract me. I have used the Samsung ear phones/hands free set that came with the phone. No static, but a faint buzz.

Is this standard? I can't think it would be.

Went in this morning to change to another Galaxy. In the store I had no static noise. While on the way home, I called my mom (I knew she would talk for more than a couple minutes :) ) and 10 minutes later, the static noise is there. The noise is the same noise you get when your earphones would go bad, maybe a loose wire or something. The store clerk tried telling me that it is standard with the phone.

This is not just in my head, my DH, DD & my friend can hear the noise.

Upvote 0
Update. Called Samsung U.S., cause, well, I bought the phone in the U.S., my carrier is U.S, I live here, in the U.S.. I was told that they can't help me cause my phone was made in...no, not Japan or China...but...wait for it...CANADA!

(actual dialog here)
Ok, so what does that have to do with me? was my question.
Well, it was made in Canada.
So?
Not America.
Yeah, I understand that, your point is....
We don't support that type of phone, you need to call Canada.
What? None of your questions asked about where my phone was made. You asked if I purchased it in the U.S. & who my carrier was!

She aplogized and rattled off this number 1-905-542-3837. Yes, I am expected to call Canada on my own dime to get a simple answer.

I found a toll free number on the Candian website pushed all the buttons to end up on hold for almost 10 minutes. Only to find out I was routed to America- "because the toll-free number routes it to whatever country you are in". AAAHHHHHH. I asked nicely if they could transfer me to Samsung Canada. Nope-they don't have that ability. I asked a supervisor if she could call Samsung Canada and ask them if this is a common issue.
"I am sorry ma'am I don't have a number for that"
"I have a phone number for them I can give you" .

She was a bit speechelss for a second or two. My DH (who had been listening the whole time) laughed.

I am ready to pull my hair out. I like the phone but I am ready to change to another phone. Here is the problem. I do business all across the Great State of Alaska. If I stick with a GSM phone, I can make phone calls from all parts of the state but not be able to surf the web. If I switchCDMA, I won't be able to call from all parts of the state BUT can surf the web. Seeing as how phone calls are an important part of my business, I think I will stay on the GSM side.

Upvote 0
Swapped out my 3rd Galaxy for a 4th yesterday. I was planning to switch to a different phone altogether, but Jenn convienced me to give it another try. She also emailed the Store Manager a request for 4 additional weeks. Within 3 calls, the buzzing/static noise was there. Soooo I went back. As I was signing in, I heard Jenn tell Jodi that I needed to see her. Turns out Jodi was the store manager. I explained everything to her and asked what my options were at this point. After talking about the options & looking at other phones, I decided to take a loaner & wait for the Fascinate. Jodi explained that the issue is a design flaw-the power port is right next to the ear piece & causes interference-and I am not the only one bringing the phone back. I was unfortunate to get 4 in a row that had problems.

Funny thing. The Loaner is a Galaxy. No excess noise.

Upvote 0
Well, the same ear piece problem just started with my wife's Galaxy Captivate. It's barely a month old and we got an Invisible Shield put on it. Now, the phone has to go back. We're not sure if the phone will be swapped or repaired. If it is swapped, there is a risk we may not get the Shield back.

This is not the first time we've had issues with Samsung phones. She also has the Galaxy Spica and that went back for repair about 4 times for the same problems: loss of cell connection or limited connectivty, and random lock-ups, slow shut downs and start-ups. the phone was repaired a few times and the finally swapped out. We had enough and i convinced her, despite her reservations to go with Galaxy S --big mistake. I said that the Spica was the first real smart phone from Samsung and they sold tonnes of Galaxy S so it must be a good phone.

Any how, coupled with the issues we've had with these smartphones, the poor compatibility with KIES and Windows, we're done with Samsung. I was planning to get the Samsung Galaxy S 2 when my carrier gets it next month but I am not. In fact, i am done with Android altogether...the apps are not fully compatible with all the different Android phones out there, the developers are frustrated with the compati bility issues, the lack of video calling on Android, the lack of consistency with across the board OS updates. I will be getting the next gen Iphone when it comes out this fall. #frustrated with samsung and android

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones