• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy S II Dual Core CPU Getting Bumped Up to 1.2GHz

phandroid

Admin News Bot
Apr 12, 2008
According to their Estonian Facebook page, the Samsung Galaxy S II is getting a pre-release processor upgrade from a 1GHz dual-core chip to 1.2GHz. GSMArena claims to have further confirmed the change with an inside source. There is no telling if the bump up in processing speed is reason for the handset’s delay back to a [...]

More...

Based on benchmarks I would say no, but maybe it's more of a marketing move.

But if the Cortex A9 can safely run at that speed then why not. :)
The latest GLBenchmark on a 1.5GHz dual-core Qualcomm processor, eats Tegra 2 (and a similar performing Exynos) for breakfast (both to be built in SGS2). Samsung must be feeling the pressure... :)

36161.png

Reactions: Shocky
Upvote 0
The latest GLBenchmark on a 1.5GHz dual-core Qualcomm processor, eats Tegra 2 (and a similar performing Exynos) for breakfast (both to be built in SGS2). Samsung must be feeling the pressure... :)

I've seen benchmarks showing Mali 400 MP matching the SGX543MP2 so I don't think so. But I was refering to CPU performance not the gaming performance.

Arent the upcoming phones clocked at 1.2GHz though? Not 1.5GHz?

EDIT:
FYI - Exynos benchmark results at 1366*768

High-level 3D Performance
GLBenchmark 2.0 Egypt : 4132 Frames (36.6 Fps)
GLBenchmark 2.0 Egypt FSAA : 3984 Frames (35.3 Fps)
GLBenchmark 2.0 Egypt FSAA Fixed Time : 83876 ms
GLBenchmark 2.0 PRO : 2281 Frames (45.6 Fps)
GLBenchmark 2.0 PRO FSAA : 2281 Frames (45.6 Fps)
GLBenchmark PRO FSAA Fixed Time : 27898 ms

http://www.glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp?D=Hardkernel+ODROID-A&benchmark=glpro20

Upvote 0
As far as CPU's are concerned, I think we can expect similar performance. They are all at the end based on Cortex A9 core. Both Exynos and Scorpion might be a bit "tuned" for higher performance and come with higher frequency CPUs. The Snapdragons come in frequencies between 1.2Ghz (HTC EVO 3D) and 1.5GHz.

It is best to wait for the released models being extensively tested against each other. :)

Upvote 0
As far as CPU's are concerned, I think we can expect similar performance. They are all at the end based on Cortex A9 core. Both Exynos and Scorpion might be a bit "tuned" for higher performance and come with higher frequency CPUs. The Snapdragons come in frequencies between 1.2Ghz (HTC EVO 3D) and 1.5GHz.

It is best to wait for the released models being extensively tested against each other. :)

It's nice of Qualcomm to give Anandtech a sample clocked at 1.5GHz, seems they really do care about benchmark scores where Samsung give the impression they really don't.

Not sure what that says about them, Adreno 220 looks good, I would guess with the CPU clocked at 1.2GHz it will have performance simalar to Tegra 2/SGX540, it's competative with phones available now at least which makes a change. It did take them year to catch up. :eek:

They should have used this in the xperia play.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones