• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy S is SLOW... NOOB ????

Hey guys, I apologize for the noobness.... But here goes.

Im currently an ATT user, when i went down as i was desperately in need of a new phone, i just happened to show up at the ATT store right at the time of the Samsung Galaxy S being released. So i bought 2... One for my wife and one for myself. I was a Tmobile G1 user before, so i thought going droid would be a good idea over the non-warrantied Iphone..

My problem is, that my droid takes FOREVER to open applications. Dont even think about getting on facebook as it will take 6min or so to open the page. and much longer to see anything on it non-the-less. And if i have the GPS function turned on, forgetaboutit ~ It will hang up phone calls and what not.

I was wondering if there was any tips or tricks that you guys might know of to speed it up. My wifes Galaxy S seems to work just fine, with its occassional hiccup of not receiving calls or texts, but thats about it?

Is it just time for a new phone? I have an additional brand new Galaxy S laying in the drawer (thats a long story)... But im thinking its time to upgrade. I see too many happy Iphone users, but i do like droid?

HELP~ and be easy on me, im new.
PS- I did do the Froyo upgrade a while back.

Galaxy S has gingerbread now, I suggest you upgrade. By the way, 6min to open a page is TOO long, I open a page on my Galaxy SL (basically an LCD version of the Galaxy S, and also a slightly weaker chipset) less than a minute. have you thought of giving it a factory reset?
How do i get the gingerbread?
(after i wrote the original message, i checked my phone under settings to see if there was a software upgrade... It started to link to the DM but just kept saying it was connecting??)

No, I have not thought of a factory reset, as I didnt want to lose anything i have on my phone....

Upvote 0
When you say it takes a long time to open apps, do you mean all apps? Or is it internet apps. If only internet apps does it happen on wifi and 3g?

Its some apps. Not all. Mainly internet apps. 3g mainly. I dont think ive ever tried to open facebook in wifi at home, as i normally have my computer up and running.

Upvote 0
When you say mainly do you mean only?
try opening facebook on wifi.

Just did it and timed it. 4min. to open up with WIFI. Right next to the wifi router too...... Full WIFI bars.

Hit back button to go to control page.... Still took an additional 5 minutes before it went blank screen for about a min whereas I could not get it to light back up... Started vibrating a few times then said "force close".. I hit WAIT... Tried to scroll the pictures on the bottom and it jammed up again. Now i have a blank screen with the bottom lights lit up with a blank screen???? Total elapsed time so far 13 minutes and the the phone has just turned itself off and then back on again.

FML? Its restarting now............

Upvote 0
Just did it and timed it. 4min. to open up with WIFI. Right next to the wifi router too...... Full WIFI bars.

Hit back button to go to control page.... Still took an additional 5 minutes before it went blank screen for about a min whereas I could not get it to light back up... Started vibrating a few times then said "force close".. I hit WAIT... Tried to scroll the pictures on the bottom and it jammed up again. Now i have a blank screen with the bottom lights lit up with a blank screen???? Total elapsed time so far 13 minutes and the the phone has just turned itself off and then back on again.

FML? Its restarting now............

If I were in your position id really just flash a custom rom and solve all your lag problems! But i guess you could do a factory reset/format which might work? I still reccomend the ROM.

Upvote 0
Will that void my warranty?

And how would I do this? Is it real difficult?+

Also, Will I Lose anything from the phone?

Yes it well but it can easily reverted to stock at any time you want,
Its not hard, if you have patience to read and re-read for the sake of having a phone lag free it WELL worth it! You wont loose anything, it will only improve what you have! It also gives you the ability to add custom themes if thats your thing:)

Ok personally DarkyROM is the best choice, tons of support and very little if any bugs.Assuming your still running froyo check out this guide..
[GUIDE] Final v10.2 - Official DarkyROM - Gingerbread (JVQ 2.3.4) - Noob-Friendly | DarkyROM
Im running this rom and i absolutly love it! Any questions and were all here to help:)
Consider thanking me if i helped you:D

Reactions: cturboaddict
Upvote 0
Yes it well but it can easily reverted to stock at any time you want,
Its not hard, if you have patience to read and re-read for the sake of having a phone lag free it WELL worth it! You wont loose anything, it will only improve what you have! It also gives you the ability to add custom themes if thats your thing:)

Ok personally DarkyROM is the best choice, tons of support and very little if any bugs.Assuming your still running froyo check out this guide..
[GUIDE] Final v10.2 - Official DarkyROM - Gingerbread (JVQ 2.3.4) - Noob-Friendly | DarkyROM
Im running this rom and i absolutly love it! Any questions and were all here to help:)
Consider thanking me if i helped you:D
THANKS!!:D Ill read through it later tonight.

Upvote 0
Be carefull what you flash. If you live in the USA you probably have a version of the galaxy S which may have different firmware than the international version.

I assume your getting at the fact that his modem might not work?

I do live in the USA

If you flash and your phone wont get service do worry, look in my signature and download the right modem for your area, put it on your internal sdcard then flash it in cwm:)

Modems:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=876391

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones