• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy S3 bluetooth audio skipping

mcf57

Nov 8, 2011
I recently got a Samsung Galaxy S3 (Verizon). The phone has been working great except one issue. When trying to play music from it via a bluetooth connection to my car stereo (JVC), I am getting a constant and unacceptable skipping. It happens randomly and usually last about 1-2 seconds. VERY annoying.

My previous phone (Verizon Motorola BIONIC) worked flawlessly. I have seen a lot of other threads and posts about this on other forums, but never did really find an acceptable solution.

Any idea what is going on here and how to fix it?

Have you tried to unpair-repair the devices to see if that helps? Have you tried other BT devices either way (different device on stereo or different device on phone? Also have you verified the audio source is not just skipping?

I sometimes use my bluetooth headset to listen to pandora. No issues. I am about to have Bluetooth headphones (xmas for my self). Hope I will not hit similar issues.

Upvote 0
I'm presuming the music is hosted on your phone and you're playing through BT to your cars speakers, right?

If the music is resident on an SD card in your phone, that is very likely to be an early indication that your SD card is failing. I had the same thing happen to me and shortly thereafter, the phone would no longer mount the SD card.

Best to back up the music now to your PC, that way, if the card fails, you still have it.

Upvote 0
Have you tried to unpair-repair the devices to see if that helps? Have you tried other BT devices either way (different device on stereo or different device on phone? Also have you verified the audio source is not just skipping?

I sometimes use my bluetooth headset to listen to pandora. No issues. I am about to have Bluetooth headphones (xmas for my self). Hope I will not hit similar issues.

Yes, I have TOTALLY unpaired the devices; removed from car's bluetooth device, removed from S3 phone. Hell, I even did a factory reset of the Galaxy S3 and its STILL skipping and audio dropouts.

My previous phone (Motorola BIONIC) worked with this JVC bluetooth adapter FLAWLESSLY. Absolutely no skipping at all. I verified the source (Spotify) is not skipping either as I have an AUX port on the stereo and connected it directly this way. It works GREAT when using the hard line AUX input. Also, with spotify, you can download tracks to your phone. I did this and these downloaded tracks are STILL skipping/audio dropout.

I'm presuming the music is hosted on your phone and you're playing through BT to your cars speakers, right?

If the music is resident on an SD card in your phone, that is very likely to be an early indication that your SD card is failing. I had the same thing happen to me and shortly thereafter, the phone would no longer mount the SD card.

Best to back up the music now to your PC, that way, if the card fails, you still have it.

The phone does not have an extra microSD card of any kind yet. Just its 16GB of internal space. As stated before, the music in question is when played with SPotify (streaming service). I thought maybe it was the Spotify service or app, but the EXACT same thing happens when I try to stream music with the Pandora app too (via bluetooth). And again, its not related to my phone's 4G connection either as both apps work great when I connect the phone directly to the stereo's AUX port.

Upvote 0
Problem has been solved.....It was on Android 4.1 & I was trying to avoid the phone getting the 4.3 update cause I wasn't sure if my FoxFi would still work. However, the 4.3 update was forced to it (by Verizon). This audio skipping issue cleared up and no more problems.

Fortunately, my FoxFi still works on 4.3 as well. Now, we'll see what happens with FoxFi when 4.4 eventually gets pushed to my S3 (my initial feeling is it will no longer work).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones