• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy S4 mobile hot spot help?

iNathanDrake

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
I have a Tmobile s4 that is NOT rooted. It's an original tmobile s4 and it's hot spot goes on WPA. My question is, is there a way without rooting that I can get a WEP wifi network so I can play older Nintendo pokemon games over wifi? Cause messing with my router at home is a pain and I prefer it on WPA, so if I could make my phone WEP when I want to play pokemon online it would be a lot easier than changing my router settings twice daily and reconnecting all the devices in the house.

1) The game doesn't see what security mode is being used by the internet connection, so the whole thing is moot. If you're having a problem with the game it's not because of the WPA security. (It's the Nintendo emulator that sees the internet connection, and even it doesn't see the security mode.)

2) It takes about 30 seconds (less if it's a game that generates a lot of internet traffic) to break a WEP passcode. So just about anyone within range can use your hotspot. You might as well find one with no security at all.

Upvote 0
1) The game doesn't see what security mode is being used by the internet connection, so the whole thing is moot. If you're having a problem with the game it's not because of the WPA security. (It's the Nintendo emulator that sees the internet connection, and even it doesn't see the security mode.)

2) It takes about 30 seconds (less if it's a game that generates a lot of internet traffic) to break a WEP passcode. So just about anyone within range can use your hotspot. You might as well find one with no security at all.

Think the OP is trying to tether a Nintendo DS by the sounds of things, rather than using an emulator. Problem is the DS being a older device only supports insecure WEP and Android doesn't do that, WPA or WPA2 only. Can't do WEP with an app either. There's the open WiFi option which would work, however that's definitely insecure and everyone in range would be on your hotspot.

Sure what some people have done when they wish to use legacy WEP only WiFi devices. Instead of the messing around and inconvenience of changing the security of the main router for when you wish to use the DS or whatever, is to get a secondary AP router setup for WEP and only turn it on when you wish to play the DS. That way you're not disturbing the main house AP and that's still secure with WPA/WPA2

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones