• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy tablet A Screen rotation

Hank1111

Lurker
Sep 11, 2019
I just purchased this Samsung galaxy tablet A from Costco and I like it but this problem is driving me crazy.

I like to have my tablet locked on landscape mode (the long way, left and right). Now, there are apps, like Instagram, that works best in portrait mode (the long way, up and down). I'm OK with this, I have no problem with that.

My problem is, when I go back to the home screen, instead of the screen orientation going back to landscape mode, it stays in portrait mode. Not only that, it locks the screen in portrait mode. So, I have to unlock the orientation, let it auto-rotate, then lock it again. This is super frustrating because my 5-year old Galaxy Tab S knows to reset the screen orientation to whatever I had before. So, I'm not sure why this Galaxy Tab A automatically sets the orientation lock to the last used app.

I tried searching the settings but didn't find anything that would address this. I'm hoping Samsung could address this in an update. But, in the meantime, are there any screen rotation apps I could use that would resolve my issues?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones