• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy USB Problems

byzarre

Lurker
Oct 21, 2012
Hi all. I have a problem that seems to affect many people, but as yet I haven't seen a solution that works. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 which Windows XP is saying is connected to a USB 1 port on two different computers, even though they both have USB 2 ports. The same ports work as USB 2 ports with other devices, just not the Tab. 2 GB worth of files transferred to the PC in 30 mins, but then via the same USB port transferred to an external hard drive in 2 mins. I also have a Samsung Galaxy Europa which, while not coming up with an error message like the Tab, is only transferring data via My Phone Explorer at USB 1 speeds. If anyone can help with this I'd be very grateful!

Its pretty normal for most devices in MTP mode. Mainly because the Tab and the computer are accessing the memory at the same time, and the Tab has an OS running on it which is why its slower. This will be true for ANY device that you connect, whether Windows Phone or Android. An external hard drive is just a hard drive with nothing running in it, which is why its faster.

Upvote 0
I could understand that if not for two things - firstly, the error message coming up to say that the Tab is a USB2 device connected to a USB1 port. Secondly, the Europa, on the other hand, is slow without the error message but that doesn't connect as an MTP device, just as a normal USB mass storage device.

Upvote 0
First off, how old is your machine? It may simply be that the port is putting out low power. Standards before are way below standards of today. 8 years ago, a 0.3MA output on a USB port is USB 2 (actually its bare minimum). Standard output now is 0.5MA. Your USB port is probably having a lower output than 0.5MA, which is why your Tab thinks its USB 1. The Europa is an older Android device, which does not have the same power needs as newer ones. Android removed the mass storage capability but uses MTP, for the device and PC to be able to access the contents at the same time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones