• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung isn't even aware that Verizon users received an update

jmz768

Android Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2009
Like a lot of people, I've been experiencing data drops since the latest update a few days ago. Verizon tells me that they're aware of the issue and that it's up to Samsung to fix. Got in touch with Samsung support and they're not even aware that we received an update. Here's the chat I just had. Relevant part is in bold text.

Pamela: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
Visitor: Hello, What is Samsung doing about the problems with the recent update to Verizon phones? We are experiencing drops in data service ever since the update last week.
Pamela: I understand that you are having issue with the Data service of the phone. Is that correct?
Visitor: Yes, the Samsung Galaxy S3. There are countless reports of data drops since the phone received an update a few days ago.
Visitor: Verizon says they are aware of the issue and are waiting for Samsung to correct it.
Pamela: I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.
Pamela: May I know the exact error message you see on the device screen?
Visitor: There is no error message, it just loses it's data connection.
Pamela: From the home screen tap on applications >> settings >> about phone>> base band version. Please follow the steps to get the base band version for the phone.
Visitor: I535VRBLMD3
Pamela: Please recheck the base band.
Visitor: I did, that's the correct one, unless that "I" should be a "1"
Pamela: According to our data base the latest update version is I535VRBMB1.
Visitor: Verizon users received an update a few days ago.
Visitor: Here's an article talking about the problem.
Visitor: Verizon Galaxy S III update killing 4G LTE for some - Android Community
Pamela: I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.
Pamela: There are no such reported issues on the device you are using.
Pamela: Please let me know how you have performed the update.
Visitor: The update was sent to my phone. A pop up said an update was available so I updated.
Pamela: I am sorry, I have rechecked the information and I see there is no update after I535VRBMB1.

Visitor: Trust me, there is and everybody on Verizon received it. There are countless angry people because their phone is losing data. Verizon is also aware of the issue and has said that Samsung is to blame.
Pamela: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.
Pamela: I am sorry,Samsung will surely acknowledge the issue, if there are such reported issues.
Visitor: The information available to you must be outdated. I realize that this update is only a few days old, but it's very strange to me that your system doesn't even show that it exists. There are a lot of people having problems, hopefully Samsung gets this fixed soon.
Pamela: I understand your concern, I will take this as feed back and forward to My next level.
Visitor: Great, thank you for the help.
Pamela: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Visitor: No, that will be it.
Pamela: It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. If you have a minute, please click on the blue “X close” button to receive a transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day!
Chat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.

Let me tell you a quick story. A little over a year ago I owned an HTC Droid Incredible. In the middle of the night ( I worked nights at the time) my phone notifies me that I am about to receive an update. To make a long story short the update crashes my phone. First phone call to Verizon they tell me that it was an HTC update. I call HTC they get all flustered and at first claim ignorance. Second call they admit that have been notified by other owners of the problem but it was a Verizon update. Went to Verizon store and they said the problem with my phone was a bad app, which was ridiculous.. They blamed Go Launcher. Called Verizon on the phone, agitated this time and they then decided to work with me. I won't get into how it was resolved . My point here is that Verizon is still playing this game. If anyone for a second doesn't thing that both Samsung and Verizon didn't know anything about this update then they are being foolish. Part of the update includes features from the S4. There's no way Verizon did that. Samsung all along had said that the S3 would be given some of the S4 features. Both parties are guilty here. Verizon announced this update days in advance. Both parties knew but they are playing games, again. And beware of that called ID app. Verizon showing it's true colors with that garbage.

Upvote 0
I stopped by Verizon today and I told the techguy and told him that since the update my connections drops alot. He got out his S3, iPhone and my S3 and he checked the signals and be said you have 4 bars. I told him about the lost connections. I don't think he believed me at this point. He then goes to his tablet and he said Samsung is aware of this problem its across all carriers. Samsung is working on a fix.

Upvote 0
I stopped by Verizon today and I told the techguy and told him that since the update my connections drops alot. He got out his S3, iPhone and my S3 and he checked the signals and be said you have 4 bars. I told him about the lost connections. I don't think he believed me at this point. He then goes to his tablet and he said Samsung is aware of this problem its across all carriers. Samsung is working on a fix.

Its not a cross carrier thing if you just look at this forum.

While were a fairly small chunk of the overall number of s3 owners, being a support forum we by definition see a proportionally higher count of people having issues.

My s3 doesn't randomly lose signal or have any of the issues you version owners are reporting after this update

The things carrier reps tell people to cover their own rear is mind boggling

Upvote 0
I haven't updated and my phone is running exactly how it has always run. Since my previous experience I now have a wait and see policy when it comes to updates. Also my experience with verizon techs is that in general most are not very skilled so when you find a good one consider yourself very fortunate.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones