• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Samsung Moment Root

Hello everbody,i am new to this forum and also new to rooting.
bear with me on this question.

I have a samsung moment with stock 2.1,i wanted to root the device.
Is there a way i can root it without flashing a custom rom on it,and just keep all the apps,i want to root the device so i can get root apps.
i dont want to install the custom rom.

Thank in Advance
John

Upvote 0
Can you tell me how to root my Samsung Moment 2.1 on Linux Ubuntu 10.10 Version?

If by that you mean, how to root your moment using a Mac, I would highly suggest not doing it.
I'm sure it can be done, but the way Mac makes files and all of that, you would have to do something different than the rest of us. That and as far as I know, the SDX updater they provide for you won't work on a Mac.

Just save yourself the trouble and find someone that bought an actual usable machine and avoid using the Mac.

Once you get your hands on a PC, then go to the SDX site/forum and find the post about rooting a moment with Dj07.

that thread will provide all of the downloads you need and walk you through the process.

Took me an hour start to finish, including download time.

I found I needed to google a few things to figure out what they meant. Things like "apply kernel.zip" If you aren't familiar with the terminology, I highly suggest googling it. Most of the answers come up easily. Better to look it up, then to just guess and screw it up.

Upvote 0
You don't need to install a custom ROM to root, just recovery 3.1.1 and a custom kernal. The kernal is what actually gets you root access.

Here's a link to the thread over at sdx. It provides pretty good instructions and download links for everything you'll need, except the kernal (older link that goes to the forum instead of the needed post), so I've also supplied a download link for inxane's 0.6.4 kernal (the newest).

[HOW TO] Get Deodexed Rooted Stock DJ07 & BEYOND!

http://www.sdx-downloads.com/devs/inxane/moment/inxane064.zip

Not mentioned in those instructions is where to put the kernal.zip. After recovery 311 is installed it should create a folder called 'sdx' on your microsd card, with a 'zip' folder inside that. That is where you'll put the inxane064.zip, and anything else that installs via zip later on (themes, ROMs, apps2sd, etc). You can access that folder by removing the microsd card and using it in an adapter on your computer; or plug the phone into the computer with a USB cable, pull down the notification bar and press 'USB connected', press 'Mount', and navigate to the folder in Windows Explorer. Don't forget to unmount after transferring the files.

Instructions and downloads for apps2sd and live wallpaper can all be found over sdx also.

Also, you cannot boot into recovery while a usb cable is plugged in. Just thought I'd mention that to save you frustration. I went crazy one day because I forgot that minor detail.

Upvote 0
nope.
once you have recovery, you're rooted.
You can keep the stock kernel if you wanted.
Part of the plus of rooting is that you can replace the stock kernel with a far better kernal, which is why the walk through has you use xsane's kernal. but there is a little note where you can click on and have the directions to keep it stock.
And technically, when you load Recovery, you have installed a different Rom. It looks and acts just like the stock ROM, it has just been modified to allow root access. So by that right, you could say that it is the rom that allows root access.

in the big scheme of things, it is 6 and one half dozen of another.
If you follow the steps from SDK and put on Recovery 3.1.1, then you are rooted and any app (assuming it is working correctly) that requires you to be rooted, will function as it should.
For the first week I was rooted, I had the stock kernal and I used connect bot to delete the junk I didn't want just so I could compare the performance of the phone with all of the junk (like moxier mail) off of it, and with a new kernel.

Upvote 0
If by that you mean, how to root your moment using a Mac, I would highly suggest not doing it.
I'm sure it can be done, but the way Mac makes files and all of that, you would have to do something different than the rest of us. That and as far as I know, the SDX updater they provide for you won't work on a Mac.

Just save yourself the trouble and find someone that bought an actual usable machine and avoid using the Mac.

Once you get your hands on a PC, then go to the SDX site/forum and find the post about rooting a moment with Dj07.

that thread will provide all of the downloads you need and walk you through the process.

Took me an hour start to finish, including download time.

I found I needed to google a few things to figure out what they meant. Things like "apply kernel.zip" If you aren't familiar with the terminology, I highly suggest googling it. Most of the answers come up easily. Better to look it up, then to just guess and screw it up.

why would you want to get your hands on a pc when you have linux think about it windows could never perfect virtualzation even if it was given to them and to be honest windows and apple all started from open source
ie unix linux redhat and you guys act like apples so bad yea they crapp so is windows lets date back 13 yrs ago bill gates saw it coming a long time ago why he started suing besides mac windows have our open source kernel why you even buy a android just go get a win7 phone and yes i know android not totally open but heck its a start soo think before you speak this is why theres so many linux question so stop windows is about to lose alot by the open source ie as in freedomView attachment 20178

Upvote 0
why would you want to get your hands on a pc when you have linux think about it windows could never perfect virtualzation even if it was given to them and to be honest windows and apple all started from open source
ie unix linux redhat and you guys act like apples so bad yea they crapp so is windows lets date back 13 yrs ago bill gates saw it coming a long time ago why he started suing besides mac windows have our open source kernel why you even buy a android just go get a win7 phone and yes i know android not totally open but heck its a start soo think before you speak this is why theres so many linux question so stop windows is about to lose alot by the open source ie as in freedomView attachment 20178
Seriously; pause...take a breath....punctuate

Upvote 0
I have had the moment for a long time. I hate the battery life on it but have been happy with it otherwise.

i have read up a little on rooting it but the threads i have looked at seem to have a lot of followup posts where someone is saying 'you should have put this here at this step' or 'that updater didn't work because sprint changed it' or driver probs. It gets sort of scarey because I don't want to spend all day wrestling with these things and end up with a brick. :)

Is there a definitive and current guide that works for Momemt rooting noobies?

Further questions,

do you have to install a different rom or can you be rooted with the stock rom? Looks like the different custom roms have probs with features like gps or usb tethering that i really want to keep.

if so, are there any kernels for it that would allow underclocking for setcpu screen off profiles?

And lastly, would that improve that battery life significantly?

Thank you in advance for any attention to these questions!

Upvote 0
I have had the moment for a long time. I hate the battery life on it but have been happy with it otherwise.

i have read up a little on rooting it but the threads i have looked at seem to have a lot of followup posts where someone is saying 'you should have put this here at this step' or 'that updater didn't work because sprint changed it' or driver probs. It gets sort of scarey because I don't want to spend all day wrestling with these things and end up with a brick. :)

Is there a definitive and current guide that works for Momemt rooting noobies?

Further questions,

do you have to install a different rom or can you be rooted with the stock rom? Looks like the different custom roms have probs with features like gps or usb tethering that i really want to keep.

if so, are there any kernels for it that would allow underclocking for setcpu screen off profiles?

And lastly, would that improve that battery life significantly?

Thank you in advance for any attention to these questions!
For a basically-stock 2.1 Moment:
Software updater - www.mediafire.com/?7065v393n14qvlt
dj07.tar - www.mediafire.com/?k7vqwfs3c24lhul
recovery311 - www.mediafire.com/?o051glksc4geppa
a 2.1 kernal - I've attached inxane's .064 kernal in zip format. I'm sure it's somewhere on sdx, but things have changed a bunch.
arm11-dvm.zip - Optimized something-or-other. It makes the phone feel a little snappier, but screws up the stock calculator. Read more, and get the files, here:
ARM11-optimized libdvm.so

**Be sure your phone is fully charged before flashing! The OS will assume whatever level the battery's at when flashed is the full charge. Turning the phone off and letting it fully charge is the best way to do it.
Install software updater on your computer, reboot.
Go to "C:\Program Files\Samsung Electronics\SWUpgrade\Models\Binary" and replace the file there with the dj07.tar.
Run updater and let phone fully boot.
Replace the dj07.tar with recovery311.tar and run updater again.
Let phone boot, then connect to pc via usb and place the inxane.zip (and arm11 files if you want) in sdx/zip folder.
Shut down and boot into Recovery (Vol down/Send/End).
Select "Apply zip from SD Card" and select the inxane.zip.
Boot to phone and you are set. Or reboot into Recovery and apply the arm11 files the same way.

This is stock 2.1, except for the kernal and arm11, so you still have the issues that stock has (reboot after using wifi or suffer data lockup!), but it is more modifiable - theming, removing apps, etc. My Wife's Moment has been running this exact setup, with the arm11, for several months without issue (she never uses wifi). Her gps works great. Mine actually worked great in 2.1, but it is now iffy in 2.2. USB tethering also worked for me (haven't tried it in a long time).

Check out this thread for safe to remove apps:
http://androidforums.com/moment-all-things-root/112896-guide-removing-stock-apps.html

Have fun!

EDIT 01-31-2012 to replace inxane 065 with inxane 064 (065 runs through battery faster, IMO)

Attachments

• inxane064.zip
    4.6 MB · Views: 96
Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
I went into recovery and made a backup of system and data.

Using titanium backup, I first froze and then unistalled some apps that were on the list as safe. i didn't use the procedure in the link, thought it would be ok to use TB.

Upon reboot, was getting all sorts of force closes. No prob, I'll just go back to the recovery I made.

i went to recovery and restored, just pushing buttons automatically. After I do, I see that it says that it has DELETED my backup. wth?

I went through the whole rooting process again, and get to the point that i am supposed to apply zip files, and the recovery says, this will delete this file. And sure enough, it does, instead of actually applying it like it did before.

Phone works but i can't apply the kernel or other file again?

Any idea what is going on here and how I can straighten it out?

Tia!

Edit: Also, apps that require root are saying that the phone is not even rooted, even though it has a broken recovery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones