• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung: Promise us Note 7's successor w/no penalty from our carrier?

johnpjackson

Android Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2013
Western Massachusetts
I'm wondering how we could get the attention of Samsung's executives on this.

I have a Note 7 because it's what I want and need. I understand Samsung's wish to have it back. I appreciate their offer of $100 to turn it in and accept another device from them as an alternative. I definitely will not be a happy customer about it, though.

Here's what would make me as happy as I can imagine in this unfortunate situation. I'd like a promise from Samsung that whenever they issue a device that replaces the Note 7, I can turn in whatever device of theirs I accept right now, with no penalty, in exchange for it. Whenever that may come. They can charge me whatever it costs them to supply me with that interim device, for the interim time period.

I think that would be a fair and reasonable thing for them to do. As a practical matter though, how could an ordinary, end user customer get such a request heard by their real decision makers, guaranteed, and responded to?

Reactions: RancidRichard
Be grateful you got $100 we got sod all in the UK.

The Note name may be dead, but a phone without a stylus certainly is not, Samsung understand market share and the Note's unique position in that market, and as long as Samsung's other products don't start exploding I think the damage can be limited. We should be thankful that Samsung is a big enough company to absorb the cost.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
I'm wondering how we could get the attention of Samsung's executives on this.

I have a Note 7 because it's what I want and need. I understand Samsung's wish to have it back. I appreciate their offer of $100 to turn it in and accept another device from them as an alternative. I definitely will not be a happy customer about it, though.

Here's what would make me as happy as I can imagine in this unfortunate situation. I'd like a promise from Samsung that whenever they issue a device that replaces the Note 7, I can turn in whatever device of theirs I accept right now, with no penalty, in exchange for it. Whenever that may come. They can charge me whatever it costs them to supply me with that interim device, for the interim time period.

I think that would be a fair and reasonable thing for them to do. As a practical matter though, how could an ordinary, end user customer get such a request heard by their real decision makers, guaranteed, and responded to?
Yeah, this is my concern. I turn over the Note 7 and buy a Note 5 that is over a year old. Samsung comes out with a Note 8 or whatever they want to call it next year and now I'm stuck with a very old phone that will sell for $100 on Craigslist. It would be awesome if Samsung would buy it back from me and let me switch to the new Note just by paying the difference in price.

Upvote 0
I sent a message to Samsung ( DJ Koh listens to me... I'm SO influential :p ) recommending a complete shutdown of the Note 7 line, and to create a database of every person who went through BOTH recalls. Those folks who bought the first Note 7, turned it in, and bought the SECOND Note 7 and turned it in as well, need to be given at LEAST a 50% off voucher for the Note 8... if not a free one outright. They have done more than destroy a great phone line: they have destroyed consumer confidence. And that, once lost, is very difficult to get back.

Upvote 0
I am totally with you on this! I wasn't very pleasant with AT&T yesterday when I turned in my Note 7. Why? Because I feel like it's unfair that I'm being forced into some sort of agreement/contract on a phone I don't truly want. Yes, they would give me a refund, and I would be free. But, with no phone. All I really want is to know that when Samsung releases the alternative for the Note 7, that I can upgrade without going broke to pay off this S7 Edge that I didn't want.
For Samsung to take back the phone and I owe nothing else, so I can upgrade when they do release....that would make all of this better for me.

Reactions: johnpjackson
Upvote 0
Ann, did AT&T compel you to sign a contract on a phone you didn't want, or did you not have a choice? If you're able to, you can always get a pristine, gently used phone from Swappa and not bother with a contact until you can get the device you want ;)
I wasn't forced into anything, I just needed a phone since I turned in my old note when I got the note 7. Wish I'd gotten a used one now [emoji85]

Thank you for the suggestion!

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
I sent a message to Samsung ( DJ Koh listens to me... I'm SO influential :p ) recommending a complete shutdown of the Note 7 line, and to create a database of every person who went through BOTH recalls. Those folks who bought the first Note 7, turned it in, and bought the SECOND Note 7 and turned it in as well, need to be given at LEAST a 50% off voucher for the Note 8... if not a free one outright. They have done more than destroy a great phone line: they have destroyed consumer confidence. And that, once lost, is very difficult to get back.
Hey, what about those of us who decided not to get the N7 due to lack of spectacular specs? We should get the voucher too!!!

Wait, I was just notified that DJ Koh is making a special announcement:

LIVE from Samsung Headquarters

djkohchief1.jpg

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
Verizon ends their free next day shipping today. It is unclear to me, even after chatting online last night, whether the 100 dollar bill credit, and waived upgrade fee will also end or not. I have not traded in my replacement yet.
I am disappointed by deadlines rushing me in to deciding on which phone to downgrade to when tomorrow at midnight the LG V20 comes out. Why cant I still have free shipping when the phone with comparable specs comes out?
Why must I rush in to a crappy iphone? Or a pixel phone with advertised features that are nothing more than apps which I had already installed weeks ago on my N7? With no wireless charging, and no waterproofing? And an inferior display?
Why must I be rushed in to an S7 with half the storage space of my N7? Note 7 only comes in 32GB and I already have over 35 GB stored on my phone.
There is no good option for me right now. Everything is a massive downgrade. Why is this deadline 1 day before an actual good phone comes out? They actually set it up so we have to downgrade for some reason.

On top of that, they keep cancelling my payment plan. I purchased this N7 on pre-order. When I traded it in for the replacement, they treated it as a return which means I did not get credit for the monthly payment I already paid on my edge plan. The new phone represented the beginning of a new payment plan.
Now, this will happen again. So I will be forced to downgrade, and I will be 2 months later in my eligibility to finally receive a true upgrade.

They need to get rid of these deadlines. And they need to, at the very least, honor the monthly payments people have made so they are eligible for upgrading to the next Samsung device that comes out. I think that would be reasonable. Im not asking for a free upgrade when it comes out, or a discount. I just want credit for having paid the money I already paid them... The fact that they arent doing that is total BS.

They are advertising these as "Deals" to "upgrade". What they are are ploys to rush you in to massive downgrading, and then sticking you with that downgraded phone for 2 months longer than you should have to keep it due to re-setting your payment plan.

Reactions: johnpjackson
Upvote 0
I agree Chief. All of us that went to 2 rounds and ended up with a phone we didn't ask for need to be accommodated. Especially for staying loyal to Samsung. I do like the feel of the S7 Edge. I just miss the S pen and the tad bigger display. Just trying to recoup some of my expenses now. Amazon has already refunded all of my purchases. Recd my super special fire proof box today at work. The receptionist opened it and could not figure out why someone sent empty boxes....duh.

Upvote 0
I think someone should write something up and we all copy it into an email to samsung,im sure if they get enough emails they will take it in to consideration......I VOTE TO BOYCOTT SAMSUNG AND DEMAND THEY GIVE US WHAT WE WANT
Good luck with your boycott [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]
Samsung is considering giving note 7 users a discount on the new model, whatever they will call it.

Upvote 0
I'm just keeping my Note 7, unless they remove my ability to use it.

If it fails, it's not going to detonate like a bomb. It'll sizzle and sputter and crackle for a moment or so first, as the display is almost immediately destroyed, then it'll move on to spewing smoke and flame for a bit, and noxious, Lithium Ion battery chemistry. Not pretty, to be sure.

While I believe the chances of it self-destructing are very small, I will nonetheless take prudent precautions for that. I don't leave it charging unattended in any placement where its failure would be any more than a nuisance. In my pocket I'll be keeping it stored inside something that'll protect me from being burned by it before I'm able to withdraw it from there and toss it on the ground.

From all I've read and seen so far, I'm convinced the chances of it actually happening to any one person are very small. But if I'm one of the unlucky ones, I think I'll make it out relatively unscathed, from all perspectives. I know some will deride me about it. I promise I'll let you know if experiences teaches me something different.

Yeah, I do like and use my device so much that no, I don't want to give anything about it up, and not be able to get it all in some other device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones