• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Ultra Power Savings Mode Clones?

jamoosh

Android Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2010
Ostensibly, Samsung has the corner on the power saving software market, according to various online articles. The linked article from earlier this year asserts that the Samsung Galaxy S5's included Ultra Power Savings Mode feature can stretch ten percent battery life out to 24 hours. While, arguably they apply some obvious tweaks, such as disabling the wireless antenna and cellular radio, they may likely employee proprietary hybrid technologies, as well. This is unknown to me. Additionally, though, the software applies contrast and color schemes which minimize the toll that the screen takes on the battery.
My first question is, if Samsung Galaxy is generally the flagship of the Android family, why haven't we seen this feature cloned in other phones yet in the last year? Are there similar applications that have mimicked the basic functionality of Samsung's "Ultra Power Savings" on other devices? Most specifically, I am interested in grayscale, and high contrast visual rendering, for both improved battery life, and viewing fatigue. These features have been integrated into certain custom roms, such as Cyanogenmod Render Effects (now deprecated), which did not have an option for grayscale. Incidentally, there still remains no feasible means of converting the display to grayscale, to my knowledge. If I am incorrect in this assumption, please correct me.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S5-Ultra-Power-Saving-Mode-explained_id53105

Hi, Thanks for your response. Some of the more obvious settings, such as haptic feedback, brightness, and so forth, I might have guessed. It seems with the potential for power saving, as well as reducing viewing fatigue, grayscale and contrast options would be often sought after, and at least available through third party applications or "hacks".

Greyscale I know nothing about but I know nexus 6 (android 5.0?) has a powersaving feature which probably the same as Samsung's, turns off haptic feedback, dims the screen, underclocks the cpu (so you're getting lower performance)... I think other OEM phones have similar features but I'm not sure

Upvote 0
Grayscale is a range of shades of gray without apparent color. The darkest possible shade is black, which is the total absence of transmitted or reflected light. The lightest possible shade is white, the total transmission or reflection of light at all visible wavelength s. Intermediate shades of gray are represented by equal brightness levels of the three primary colors (red, green and blue) for transmitted light, or equal amounts of the three primary pigments (cyan, magenta and yellow) for reflected light.

In the case of transmitted light (for example, the image on a computer display), the brightness levels of the red (R), green (G) and blue (B) components are each represented as a number from decimal 0 to 255, or binary 00000000 to 11111111. For every pixel in a red-green-blue ( RGB ) grayscale image, R = G = B. The lightness of the gray is directly proportional to the number representing the brightness levels of the primary colors. Black is represented by R = G = B = 0 or R = G = B = 00000000, and white is represented by R = G = B = 255 or R = G = B = 11111111. Because there are 8 bit s in the binary representation of the gray level, this imaging method is called 8-bit grayscale.

In the case of reflected light (for example, in a printed image), the levels of cyan (C), magenta (M), and yellow (Y) for each pixel are represented as a percentage from 0 to 100. For each pixel in a cyan-magenta-yellow (CMY) grayscale image, all three primary pigments are present in equal amounts. That is, C = M = Y. The lightness of the gray is inversely proportional to the number representing the amounts of each pigment. White is thus represented by C = M = Y = 0, and black is represented by C = M = Y = 100.
In some systems that use the RGB color model, there are 2 16 , or 65,636, possible levels for each primary color. When R = G = B in this system, the image is known as 16-bit grayscale because the decimal number 65,536 is equivalent to the 16-digit binary number 1111111111111111. As with 8-bit grayscale, the lightness of the gray is directly proportional to the number representing the brightness levels of the primary colors. As one might expect, a 16-bit digital grayscale image consumes far more memory or storage than the same image, with the same physical dimensions, rendered in 8-bit digital grayscale.

In analog practice, grayscale imaging is sometimes called "black and white," but technically this is a misnomer. In true black and white, also known as halftone, the only possible shades are pure black and pure white. The illusion of gray shading in a halftone image is obtained by rendering the image as a grid of black dots on a white background (or vice-versa), with the sizes of the individual dots determining the apparent lightness of the gray in their vicinity. The halftone technique is commonly used for printing photographs in newspapers.
In some cases, rather than using the RGB or CMY color models to define grayscale, three other parameters are defined. These are hue, saturation and brightness . In a grayscale image, the hue (apparent color shade) and saturation (apparent color intensity) of each pixel is equal to 0. The lightness (apparent brightness) is the only parameter of a pixel that can vary. Lightness can range from a minimum of 0 (black) to 100 (white).
Source: http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/grayscale

So what is "greyscale" mate?

Upvote 0
why haven't we seen this feature cloned in other phones yet in the last year?

Sony actually beat them to it, introducing their "Stamina Mode" feature back in early 2013 with the Xperia Z, and have refined it continuously since then. HTC added a similar feature with the M8 too.

Are there similar applications that have mimicked the basic functionality of Samsung's "Ultra Power Savings" on other devices?

Many of the current fancy-pants OEM features rely on proprietary software, but much of it was possible previously with the likes of Tasker, Greenify and APN Droid... and a lot of effort. As an example, I had a Tasker profile on my S2 that progressively shut down non-essential services, under-clocked and -volted the SOC, reduced screen brightness etc as the battery level dropped below 20%.

So what is "greyscale" mate?
MACBETH-CHART-COVERTED-TO-G.jpg

grey5percentsteps6x4in300pp.jpg

:D

Last edited:
Reactions: jamoosh
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones