Samsung, when are we getting Donut?General

Last Updated:

1. Andronix

Andronix Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Now the Donut is officially out, I think we can have an official answer about timeline for Donut update for i7500.

Advertisement
  2. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

3. bitxboi

bitxboi Well-Known Member

I think we should be waiting for Samsung and not Google. G1 will receive an OTA update because it's a Google Phone, Galaxy is not.
    I'm not even sure Samsung will cook some Android 1.6 based Galaxy firmware ever, but I hope they will, because I'm not planning to update my phone otherwise on the short term.

4. dkaufman1

The point was this...the SDK was just released. So now companies/developers have the new toolset and can modify their OS build. Will Samsung or your Carrier? I don't know. Asking here is a good start, but I might also try and reach a Carrier/Samsung rep and ask them their plans.

5. spupuz

spupuz Well-Known Member

i'm pretty sure they will update samsung galaxy with the 1.6 donut firmware by the way that phone is really news... and .. if they are going to update omia with windowsmobile 6.5 ican imagine they will move on donut for galaxy.

6. bisanu

bisanu Guest

and how will update be made. through pc studio or the other way, cos' we all know studio is not working very well for updates

7. mrbrdo

mrbrdo Well-Known Member

i'm more worried if samsung releases all the sources needed to just port donut for ourselves? have they released everything needed yet?

8. sephail

sephail Active Member

I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point. The SDK was just released and the ADP1 doesn't even have an image out yet. I'd expect to see it available from HTC for the ADP1 before any of the other vendors start releasing firmware upgrades.

9. Andronix

i just want samsung to treat us professionally. at the moment they pretend like we don't exist.

10. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

What he said. :rolleyes: It's true, Samsung does not serve anything more than the most bare specs pages about this phone, and all the firmware files we've seen linked here are linked from, um, not exactly official locations (one actually feels a little brave to dare to install those things).

Hey Samsung! Wake up already, the phone is in the stores ... surely, it is out of beta testing ... ?

11. dkaufman1

That is very unfortunate. For US users of the G1 (or any phone) we normally deal with the carrier. Is this an option for any of you?

Also is the Samsung a "with Google" phone? If so, that might help as maybe Google's team will make a build you could easily update.

12. damuffinman

damuffinman Well-Known Member

That's the difference between the US and the rest of the world. The G1 was marketed as "T-Mobile G1" and not as "HTC Dream", so naturally you would go back to T-Mo USA to get your problems solved.

The other difference is the power of the operator. For the rest of the world, the phone isn't limited to the operator's options. Their role is just to offer us the wireless service...

13. dkaufman1

What's interesting is the very different business models we deal with. I wonder what is better for both customer and business. Clearly in this case we have some carrier control over what does/does not happen to our device and how we can use it, but we also have the support of a big company fighting to make sure we get the updates and testing them and making our experience better. Of course we pay a lot more.

Also your comment perplexes me as many of the deals reported on European phones at least are Dream for free with a 2 year contract, which is similar albeit cheaper at first glance to the US model.

14. damuffinman

Yes, maybe I drew a poor example using the Dream/G1. Take most phones in the Asian/European market as an example - you can purchase them SIM free and then get a plan from the operator for a very cheap price. Obviously you pay more if you want a free phone on contract - the phone comes SIM locked for that very reason. But it also illustrates the fact that operators can't dictate what phones you can use - there's just simply too much choice out there.

15. damuffinman

And I think I'm going off topic. Is there anyway to build upon a Donut Android build for the Hero/Magic for the Galaxy?

16. dkaufman1

I think that is also known, to a lesser extent in the US too. A friend of mine under contract picked up a G1 on Ebay to use with their existing Tmobile account.

I read somewhere that Tmobile offers iPhone data plans if you ask.

I was once in a Tmobile store and the girl behind the counter had a phone she got off Ebay in Europe unlocked and was using here in the US as you described, just paying the wireless costs.

17. Vap1d-

Vap1d- Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Cyanogen's rom ported to the Galaxy, but have no idea what would need to be changed or where to start to cook a rom..

18. mrbrdo

mrbrdo Well-Known Member

19. Vap1d-

Vap1d- Well-Known Member

20. damuffinman

Maybe we should all chip in and get him a Galaxy? ;)

21. Andronix

it would be easier if he had paypal acc for donations :?

22. Andronix

with donut we would be getting 2.6.29 that supports so much needed compcache.

btw anyone played with galaxo roms with enabled linux swap?

23. Vap1d-

Vap1d- Well-Known Member

I haven't checked it out yet, but there is a rom w/ swap enabled from i7500.modaco.com not sure of the kernel version included.

24. Andronix

25. kreator

kreator Member

I'm tired of samsung's leaks.
    I'm with the no-sleep bug (jc6) and this phone with 8hours max battery time is useless.

My next phone won't be a samsung for sure.