• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Sandisk 32gb Speeds

Crane

May 28, 2010
I picked up one of the new 32gb Sandisk cards from Verizon for $75 this week. I thought I would post up a speed comparison since many people seem concerned that it's only a class 2 card. I performed a full format on the cards (except the brand new 32gb which I quick formatted) to make sure they didn't have any data on them prior to testing them with Crystal Disk Mark.

The net of it is that the 32gb class 2 card is either almost as fast or significantly faster (depending on the test) than the 16gb class 4.
It seems to be exceptional at doing non-sequential writes in particular. I actually ran it several times just to be sure it wasn't some kind of fluke. All of the cards performed well beyond their stated class (especially the class 2 cards). Any of these cards are more than capable of keeping up with anything that the Droid X (or any other smartphone) can throw at it.

For reference purposes, the Droid X records 720p at around 23 mbps or less than 3 MB/s per boygeniusreport.com.

EDIT: I took a few videos myself the other day at 720p, and my videos all came in at just under 1 MB/s. I'm not sure what explains the difference between my own files and boygenius, but either way, they're both well under the capabilities of any of these cards.

16GB Class 4 (came with the Droid X)

16gb_sandisk_class_4.PNG

Sandisk 16GB Class 2 (bought it of off 1saleaday.com a month or so ago)

16gb_sandisk_class_2.PNG

Sandisk 32GB Class 2

32gb_sandisk_class_2.PNG

Great post OP!

I also purchased the 32GB microsd card (couldn't pass up the $75 price). My tests also confirmed that the 32GB was just as fast if not faster than the included 16GB; note that my droid came with a class 2 SanDisk instead of a class 4 Japan-sourced.

Testing done on an XP-32 box with H2testw v1.4

16gb Sandisk class 2 (came with Droid X)
Writing speed: 3.85 MByte/s
Reading speed: 13.2 MByte/s

32gb Sandisk class 2
Writing speed: 5.37 MByte/s
Reading speed: 13.5 MByte/s

8gb Sandisk class 4 (for comparison)
Writing speed: 4.08 MByte/s
Reading speed: 18.0 MByte/s

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones