• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Saving downloaded photos etc

Thanks for the link Its helped me understand. The Kobo books I download I have to click on them for the to go into Digital Editions.
But then I can see the name However if I download them to the Nexus the names are just numbers and letters. So never know what they are to export to Aldiko, backup or anywhere.

So you are just backing up all the epub files? No cover etc?
The cover helps me know what is what faster lol

Upvote 0
Thanks for the link Its helped me understand. The Kobo books I download I have to click on them for the to go into Digital Editions.
But then I can see the name However if I download them to the Nexus the names are just numbers and letters. So never know what they are to export to Aldiko, backup or anywhere.

So you are just backing up all the epub files? No cover etc?
The cover helps me know what is what faster lol

An epub file is actually a .zip archive. If (in Windows) you rename something.epub to something.zip then double click it you'll see it open just like a zip file. In the list of contents you'll see lots of .html files - you usually get one for each chapter - and also a file called cover.jpg that is the cover image.

So when you back up the epub you're actually backing up everything to do with the book - cover included.

When you import a book to Aldiko it extracts the cover, and also creates an info file called metadata.opf. However I think Aldiko only does this for convenience. Eveerything you need is in the .epub file so that's all you need to back up.

Reactions: mm43
Upvote 0
An epub file is actually a .zip archive. If (in Windows) you rename something.epub to something.zip then double click it you'll see it open just like a zip file. In the list of contents you'll see lots of .html files - you usually get one for each chapter - and also a file called cover.jpg that is the cover image.

So when you back up the epub you're actually backing up everything to do with the book - cover included.

When you import a book to Aldiko it extracts the cover, and also creates an info file called metadata.opf. However I think Aldiko only does this for convenience. Eveerything you need is in the .epub file so that's all you need to back up.

Thank you thank you :)
Very helpful reply. I never knew that lol
When I have found epubs on smashwords or somewhere,when I import them to calibre or my nexus they never have a cover
So thought I needed to back up the whole calibre folder, my digital editions etc etc.
Never going to get to read all the books I find, been given, loan from library (still love Real books) and elibrary lol But finding lots of interesting ones I would never normally read;)

Upvote 0

Just decided to back up all my ebooks as only the epubs as you suggested.
Then added a few of them to Aldiko. But now I find they have lost the covers that they had before and my Aldiko looks very messy. Tried to upload a screenshot but it was PNG and would not go.

Upvote 0
Just decided to back up all my ebooks as only the epubs as you suggested.
Then added a few of them to Aldiko. But now I find they have lost the covers that they had before and my Aldiko looks very messy. Tried to upload a screenshot but it was PNG and would not go.

If you want to send me an example of a problematic epub I'll have a look. I've mailed you the upload details in a private message.

Upvote 0
This is what some of the epubs now look like in Aldiko. They are fine on the PC or on my Kobo.

Attachments

• aldiko .jpg
    aldiko .jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 110
Upvote 0
Hmm, it's obviously not scaling the cover photo properly.

The cover photo can be any size and the reader is supposed to scale it up to fit the page. For some reason Aldiko isn't doing this. Does the cover look the same in list view?

I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong. I'd guess it's just a quirk of Aldiko. You could try deleting then re-importing the book.

Upvote 0
Hmm, it's obviously not scaling the cover photo properly.

The cover photo can be any size and the reader is supposed to scale it up to fit the page. For some reason Aldiko isn't doing this. Does the cover look the same in list view?

I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong. I'd guess it's just a quirk of Aldiko. You could try deleting then re-importing the book.

The cover is missing in the list view also
But fine on the pc
Even some books from Kobo My digital folder I have added are missing cover art.
Tried deleting the books. re checking covers again.
Uninstalled and re installed Aldiko. No change

Very strange.

Just discovered the collections on Aldiko though
Like it a lot (though would be good if it sorted books out for you itself lol)
Shame not in Kindle app also.

Upvote 0
Jhsrennie can you give me a few tips regarding how you organise your ebooks folder maybe?
I'm trying to save them all to one main folder. But on checking my computer I seem to have found about 2,500 and I want to be able to find and recognise them easily.
Tried folders in the main folder, for thrillers, romance etc. But have downloaded lots of free ones and lots of my books I dont know what they are yet lol
Dont really want them all in calibre yet. Any tips welcome.

Upvote 0
The contents of the Books directory on my PC is:

[HIGH]Books
|_Comics
|_IT
|_Misc
|_NonFiction
|_Science
|_SciFi[/HIGH]

I subdivide these as required. For example the Comics directory contains subdirectories:

[HIGH]Comics
|_Calvin and Hobbes
|_Dilbert
|_Foxtrot
|_Garfield
|_Sandman
|_The Far Side
|_V For Vendetta[/HIGH]

Only the SciFi directory has enough books to need aggressive subdivision. The SciFi directory contains:

[HIGH]SciFi
|_Anthologies
|_Novellas
|_Novels
|_Stories[/HIGH]

and within the Novels directory I have:

[HIGH]Novels
|_A-C
|_D-G
|_H-J
|_K-M
|_N-R
|_S-Z[/HIGH]

I always name the files "Author - Title.epub" so within the subdirectories within Novels the books are split up alphabetically by Author. I chose the range of letters to try and end up with about the same number of books in each category.

Everyone will have different views about how to file books, but when I'm looking for a book I almost always want to find an author, so filing them by author name works for me. In the rare event I want a book but can't remember the author I can use the Windows search to find the title.

JR

Upvote 0
Thanks
Think a lot of mine will go in Misc lol.
As when i find a free I think I will save it for later! But some have no author.
Going to take awhile to run through Calibre to find out what they are.

Still like the Calibre folder for backup really But end up backing up the whole folder again each time I add just one book!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones