• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

screen brightness changing outdoors?

ok been reading post after post and no one seems to know why this happens so i will bring it up again.

i have a new galaxy s3 on verizon. the auto brightness is OFF and so are the power saving modes.

went to take a picture with the phone yesterday in a rainy overcast day.
the phones screen was so dark, i was almost unable to take the picture.

is there some hidden screen brightness control. i have heard that the screen is hard to see in direct sun but this was in no way direct sun. it seems that on overcast days the screen gets really dark. i was standing next to someone with the same phone and he was having the exact same issue.

any clue whats going on

Why do you have auto-brightness off? It sounds like you are asking why the screen, whose brightness you presumably find ok when indoors, doesn't brighten up when you go outside? Well, that's what auto-brightness is there for! I always leave auto-brightness on and then use the brightness slider to bias the screen's brightness to be either higher or lower, depending mainly on the season; I've found that I can bias the brightness to be lower in winter (thereby saving a *small* amount of battery power) but I bias the brightness higher in summer when there's more chance of seeing a bit of sunlight.

Upvote 0
Why do you have auto-brightness off? It sounds like you are asking why the screen, whose brightness you presumably find ok when indoors, doesn't brighten up when you go outside? Well, that's what auto-brightness is there for! I always leave auto-brightness on and then use the brightness slider to bias the screen's brightness to be either higher or lower, depending mainly on the season; I've found that I can bias the brightness to be lower in winter (thereby saving a *small* amount of battery power) but I bias the brightness higher in summer when there's more chance of seeing a bit of sunlight.

i turned the auto brightness off for a reason. that was the point of the post, for some reason that i am not aware of, with auto brightness off, and all power saving modes off. the brightness of the screen should remain constant. i realize when you go out in bright sunlight, even at the brightest setting, the screen may be difficult to see. but i was not in bright sunlight. it was raining and very overcast and the screen got so dark, i was unable to see what i was taking a picture of. it did not look like it was just the exterior light that was affecting the screen, it looked more like the screen brightness dimmed so far down i couldn't see it correctly anymore. and if it was not for the person next to me having the same problem, i would have chalked it up to something i was doing wrong. but now i think its something in the phone that I am not aware of. i understand what auto brightness is and how to use it. my personal preference is not to use it. i like my screen bright all the time. just wondering is anyone else has this problem and if its some setting i am not aware of. :)

Upvote 0
ok been reading post after post and no one seems to know why this happens so i will bring it up again.

i have a new galaxy s3 on verizon. the auto brightness is OFF and so are the power saving modes.

went to take a picture with the phone yesterday in a rainy overcast day.
the phones screen was so dark, i was almost unable to take the picture.

is there some hidden screen brightness control. i have heard that the screen is hard to see in direct sun but this was in no way direct sun. it seems that on overcast days the screen gets really dark. i was standing next to someone with the same phone and he was having the exact same issue.

any clue whats going on
Lol I have a Samsung Galaxy J1 and it has an outdoor brightness feature in it which makes the screen so bright while I'm out or the sun is pointing at it xD.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones