• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen dark fix?

VinniePaz

Sep 4, 2010
Hey guys, here is my story. A girl at work spilled her drink of water by my phone and of course it got wet. I did the whole sit in rice for 3 days and hit it with a lite blow drying.

After I turned it back on everything works perfect (can text and receive calls, ect) except the screen is so dark I can only see it (hologram type effect) in super bright light and tilted at an angel. And even then its barley visible. To my surprise yesterday the screen lit right up back to normal and I almost died, but by that night its back to dark. I have no insurance and have about 8 months left on my contract. I talked to some verizon people and the best scenarios for me would to be A) Buy another Droid X from like craigslist and switch everything over. Cheapest I seen in my area is $375 or B) Ad a line and get a new Droid X w/2 year contract for $200 and switch the info over and pay the data fee on the old one I cant use

I'm not asking so much for help on those options, but more if anyone knows any tips to maybe fix the screen (if it is a screen problem and not hardware). It just sucks because it works perfect and it did come back on so I know (kinda lol) that it must be capable of doing it again. Any help would be great! Thanks

Doesn't sound like it's the screen as much as it does the back light for the screen. From what I've seen, they are enclosed in the screen housing.

Looks like you can get the screen on line.
Examples:
HERE
HERE

Notice the 2nd link also sells digitizers. I'm not sure how the digitizer is mounted to the screen (adhesive, dbl sided tape, friction fit) but if you can't salvage the original, it will have to be replaced too. (The digitizer is what responds to touches, swipes, etc).
Also, here's a place that does it for you. I don't know anything about the company though.

If you're serious, do a lot of Google and forum searching to see if anyone has done it, where they bought the screen, how difficult it was, and the results.

And after saying all that... The phone did get wet. There may be problems that arise a few months from now due to corrosion. You might pay one to two hundred to fix it now, only to have other problems later.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones