Screen Off+No Lock=hardly ever needing power buttonTips

Last Updated:

1. vgsantiago

vgsantiago Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Found using these two apps from the market allows me to hardly ever have to use the power button (only for power off/on situations). Which is great because I know there has been reported issues of the button sinking in.

Screen Off: $0.99
    No Lock: free

Advertisement
    Bagua, konreu and Android Addict_old like this.
  2. 355spider

355spider Well-Known Member

How do you get the screen back on when it sleeps? I have no lock which is great.

3. braxx

braxx Member

Let me add quick boot. It allows you to reboot without ever touching the power button.

4. Android Addict_old

Android Addict_old Member

Forgive my ignorance, but even after reading the description of Screen Off in the market, I'm still not exactly sure how it works. Can someone describe in detail what the user does and how it functions (e.g., User presses XX and then device does XX, etc., etc.).

Thx!
    ME

5. vgsantiago

If you have 'No Lock' you hit the volume rocker. But if you're wanting to get the screen back before it goes totally black hit the home button or back button. you have roughly 5-7secs before those go black. I didn't mention the menu button because that merely brings up the 'settings' for the 'screen off' app. the search well does exactly that.

I personally like the 'blank' option on the 'screen off' app as it also turns off the notification bar, as does the 'tv snow' option. the other two you can still open the notification bar.

6. vgsantiago

When installed you can place the app on your home screen, you then push the app and it basically locks your screen then goes into sleep mode.

Here's a scenario that applied to me prior to 'Screen Off': Have my screen timeout set to 1min., so when wanting to check something and exiting the app and placing in my pocket I have to hit the power button so my screen goes off before placing in my pocket. Now I just simply hit the 'screen off' app and my screen goes blank/locks and need not worrying about activating another app or dialing someone by mistake when placing in my pocket. The only things that are available to activate during that 5-7 sec. period before the phone goes completely black is the bottom, home; menu; back; and search keys. Again that's only for about 5-7secs. Have not had any problems activating these when putting in my pocket or face down on the table as I have the Seido Innocase II which has a small lip where my screen doesn't touch the table.

it's well worth the $0.99 IMO, if I can avoid that power button as much as possible it worth it to me.

I will also try quick boot, if works as it sounds I'm all set!

7. vgsantiago

looked at this app and it read it only works on rooted phones which mine is not.

8. konreu

konreu Member

Hi Android Addict, I am the creator of Screen Off. I should be able to help you. :D

When you press the Screen Off icon, your phone will begin to go to sleep. During this time, you will not need to worry about accidentally pressing anything on your touchscreen.

Your device will be asleep after about 5 seconds. When you wake your device, you will not notice a difference between having used Screen Off or having pressing your power button.

I use Screen Off because my phone's power button is on the top of my phone. This placement is awkward, in my opinion, as it requires me to either shift my phone to reach it, or use a second hand. This is at best inconvenient, and at worst a risky situation (such as when I am walking my dog). Screen Off allows me to easily turn my phone off with one hand.

If you have an EVO 4G, a Droid X, or any of these other great new Android phones out that have their power-buttons at the top of the phone, Screen Off is a convenient alternative to your power button.

If you have any questions, issues, or requests, please let me know. Thank you for your interest in Screen Off!

9. vgsantiago

Oh yeah and there's that reason:D, great app konreu. Bought it for my wife and I.

10. jadoe05

jadoe05 Well-Known Member

Okay so I have a serious question, and maybe I should have searched. I have been using smartphones for a while, all htc. From the Mogul(if memory serves me correctly, to the Touch Pro, to the Touch Pro 2, to the Evo, all of my phones have had the power bottom on the top. It isn't an issue for me as I am used to it and I have big hands. Is the only feature of this app turning off the screen without having to hit the power button or are there more?

11. vgsantiago

Correct it only turns off the screen vice hitting the power button.

But for me not having basketball player type hands it works great and allows for easy one hand operation without adjusting the phone in my hand to reach it.

jadoe05 likes this.
  12. IXDoubleDXI

IXDoubleDXI Active Member

But in order to get back into the phone, we still have to press the power button, correct?

13. vgsantiago

not if you download the free app called 'No Lock', which you then use the volume rocker.

14. mcl1981

mcl1981 Well-Known Member

So if the volume down rocker turns the screen back on, how do you turn the volume down??

15. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member

The volume buttons "wake" the phone when it it asleep, but otherwise act as regular volume buttons.

16. 355spider

355spider Well-Known Member

Has anyone had problems with it coming on in your pocket?

17. vgsantiago

In regards to using 'No Lock' or 'Screen Off'?

I personally have not while using both these apps. It seems it takes a deliberate press of one of the keys along the bottom to reactivate the screen while using 'Screen Off'. I've tried activating 'Screen Off' and rubbing against my skin or clothes to try and bring it back during the 5 sec. period no dice (which is a good thing) Might I also note I have a case around it which gives it a little buffer. But I think a naked one would also not activate unless pressed deliberately

18. NeoEVO

NeoEVO Well-Known Member

Screen Off - a 99 cent must have for the EVO.

19. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

If screen off were able to be permanently placed in the notification bar dropdown where I could always access it, sans the notification bar icon, I would be ALL OVER this app. :D

But as it is, navigating out of whatever app or activity I am engaged in, in order to get back to the home screen to press an icon that is taking up my EXTREMELY valuable home-screen real-estate... I just can't go for it. :eek:

20. mcl1981

mcl1981 Well-Known Member

So I couldn't turn the volume down with the phone asleep like I normally can, correct?

21. strongsteve

strongsteve Active Member

Screen off seems well worth the buck but maybe not worth the real estate on the home screen..

22. vgsantiago

lol... felt the same way initially, what app can I possibly move off the home screen. Now I can't remember which one it was.

23. Bagua

Bagua Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips and tricks, using Launcher Pro and put the Screen Off app on my scrollable dock. no need for any clutter on my Home screen except the clock and wallpaper. It all looks clean.

24. osteology

osteology Member

And, if you routinely only use one dock of LauncherPro, Screen Off is effectively on every screen - similar to having it in the notification bar.

Bagua likes this.
  25. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

Still not accessible from the browser our any other app screen with the notification bar showing.

I agree that the dollar price tag would definitely be worth it (if it were in the notification bar). But as it is, I wouldn't use it even if it were free.

konreu likes this.