• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD card and USB

Hey Guys,

I hope someone can help me with a frustrating problem I've been having. I've had a G1 since January and never had any problems connecting the phone to my notebook via USB and managing the files on the SD card.

I recently bought a new notebook running the 64-bit version of Vista Home Premium and my ability to work with the SD card has been lost. This is what now happens:

1.) I plug the phone into one of the USB ports.
2) The notebook and the phone both detect the connection.
3.) I open the notification on the G1's display and tap "mount".
4.) The dialog box in Windows for that drive opens, and the phone's display indicates that it's mounted.
5.) Almost immediately after the phone displays that it's mounted, the "preparing SD card for use..." message appears on the phone display and it seems to disconnect itself.

I've tried both rebooting the phone and the notebook, using a different USB port, checking the Device Manager in Vista to verify that the "best" driver is currently being used for the device, and even removing the SD card from the phone, inserting it directly into the reader in the notebook, moving the files off the card, reformatting it, and moving the files back on. (When the SD card is directly in the notebook, I have no problems.)

Working directly with the SD card is an adequate workaround for now, but does anyone have any other suggestions on how to fix this?

Hey Guys,

I hope someone can help me with a frustrating problem I've been having. I've had a G1 since January and never had any problems connecting the phone to my notebook via USB and managing the files on the SD card.

I recently bought a new notebook running the 64-bit version of Vista Home Premium and my ability to work with the SD card has been lost. This is what now happens:

1.) I plug the phone into one of the USB ports.
2) The notebook and the phone both detect the connection.
3.) I open the notification on the G1's display and tap "mount".
4.) The dialog box in Windows for that drive opens, and the phone's display indicates that it's mounted.
5.) Almost immediately after the phone displays that it's mounted, the "preparing SD card for use..." message appears on the phone display and it seems to disconnect itself.

I've tried both rebooting the phone and the notebook, using a different USB port, checking the Device Manager in Vista to verify that the "best" driver is currently being used for the device, and even removing the SD card from the phone, inserting it directly into the reader in the notebook, moving the files off the card, reformatting it, and moving the files back on. (When the SD card is directly in the notebook, I have no problems.)

Working directly with the SD card is an adequate workaround for now, but does anyone have any other suggestions on how to fix this?

Try someone elses data cable and try yours on theirs ....

Upvote 0
Hi, found this while looking for solution to exactly the same problem with my own Vista64/G1 USB connection. I believe the problem started after I received the Android 1.5/1.6 update. I have no problem when using the same phone/cable/sd combination to connect to other computers so long as they are XP or Linux. I've completely reformatted the SD card, even using the G1 itself do the formatting, and have also completely wiped my hdd and reinstalled Vista from scratch. No go. Like you, I now keep an SD reader handy... it works but hardly inconvenient.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and elsewhere for a solution.

Kermit

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones