• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD card help

MechArm1

Aug 28, 2010
when I got my new phone 4 or 5 days ago I took out my SD card from the old phone put it in the new phone, opened "gallery" and I saw all the pictures that I had on there, I opened the music player and had music. . . .So today I was messing with the music player and noticed that I only seem to have like 30'ish songs on there instead of at least the hundred or so thats in the music folder on the SD card.

So I plug the phone in to the computer save my music and picture folders, use the computer to "reformat" the SD card, Open the phone no pictures or music, cool seems to be a fresh SD card.

now I take the music and picture folders, copy n paste them back into the SD card open the phone back up still the same few songs instead of all the music. And now when I open the "gallery" it says something like searching card for pictures but now no pictures at all show up?

when I go into the phone itself to try and format the card thinking that will add the properly named folders n such, it wont do it. format external card is grayed out?

Whats the trick to get my SD card to see all my pictures, music and even a few videos that I had before? when I open the SD card while its plugged into the PC should the folders be named something special or in certain "folder tree"

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Format = delete all

Whenever you put new files onto you SD card, the media scanner will scan all the folders and map all media files. No need to put them in any special structures. On the other hand, if you do not want the file to appear in your music player or gallery, you can add a file to the folder with the name [.nomedia] (without the bracket).

Reactions: Gipson
Upvote 0
Think you two both missed the part where he said he copied the files off and copied them back on again AFTER the format.

OP - When you put the card into your computer again (taking it back out of the phone) - do you still see all your music/photos/etc on it? And do you have any other SD cards you can use in the phone and/or test with?

Upvote 0
Just a suggestion try formatting the SD card while it is in the phone, then moving the files to you SD card from your computer. If your computer formatted the SD card with NTFS I dont believe your phone will recognize the card. It has to be formatted in FAT32 (I think), which has a 4GB size limit.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem. I've tried.what y'all have said but it still only gives me a small percent of what I transfer. I've used mass storage and media player but nothing. And its random too, some songs in a album work and then most others don't. Should I have debug mode on or something? I.need a solution or.this phone is going back (the keyboard sucks too many periods).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones