• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD Card not writeable?

hongman

Feb 20, 2014
Hi

I just got my S4 back from repair, and they wiped the handset and upgraded it to 4.3 JB.

First thing I did was root it, get TB Pro back on and restored some stuff.

I have since noticed though that nothing is able to write to the SD Card which is causing some wierdness in apps etc.

The SD Card is writeable in Windows.
In ES File Explorer, the properties of the SD Card and Folders within it show up with writeable permissions.
I have looked at the platform.xml file which shows it is correct too.

What should I do, where should I look??

There's a situation that causes these symptoms. There's a problem with the FAT, so the card mounts R/O. In Windows there's no such safety, so it mounts R/W.

Mount the card in a Windows computer, copy anything you don't want to lose, right-click the card and Format. Uncheck Quick Format and format as FAT32.

That should allow it to mount R/W in the phone.

(Permissions are bits in the description of the item - they have nothing to do with how the medium is mounted. A r-- card can be mounted R/W (you just can't write to it) and a rw- card can be mounted R/O so you can't write to it. (Different parts of the OS are responsible for blocking the write operation in each case.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones