• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SD card won't mount

drumelloboe

Sep 4, 2010
TX
So I somehow killed my 2GB SD card last week (accidentally unplugged from the laptop while it was writing data- wasn't recognized as existing by my phone or laptop after that) and just got a 4GB card today. I formatted it (FAT32) before trying anything, then copied my files back from my laptop onto the card and ran a new Titanium Backup batch thingie. Everything was fine, and I was going to go create a new backup file through ClockworkMod so I could flash a new ROM on there and I get this message:

E: Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk1)
(Invalid argument)
Can't mount /sdcard

It mounts to my laptop, and when I open both Titanium and ROM manager they don't give me an error about the SD card so it's working in some places, it seems.

I tried reformatting and it didn't help... any ideas?

Welp, I formatted my card so I could free up some old space and I'm going through the same issues, but now I can't boot up to format through the phone (I keep getting boot loops), and it won't mount through ClockWork to format there.

I can format it on my Macbook all day long and it doesn't matter, it will not mount on my phone when the time comes.

Upvote 0
Having the same issue here... Looks like a bad card format can cause the issue from what I am reading here and may explain some Alex-V ROM freeze's I have had with certain versions but not others.

I used Gparted in Ubuntu to partition and format the card. I will try and recover what I can off the card and then reformat it in the phone, and then partition in ROM manager although it only partitions up to 512MB for some reason (1GB is better).

I just ran 'fix permissions' on the SD card from ROM Manager to see if that helps. The PHONE can read the card, just nothing else can (USB mount or Recovery).

frigging annoying, it's $70 for a new 16GB card so I hope this one is ok.

Upvote 0
The solution is simple. Use rom manager to flash the alternate amon RA recovery. Boot into recovery and make a backup. These will now be stored in a folder on your SD card called nandroid. Been using this recovery since I had an LG ally with never a single problem. Don't use rom manager to ever flash anything. And clockwork is bogus and has all these problems described here among others. Don't know why people don't use amon RA.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones