• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD Maid (pro)

my opinion.... useful if you have a device getting tight on storage. has been around a long time. good reviews. does what it says. no unreasonable claims. (not in the same category as ram boosters)

there is a small risk of causing problems when deleting certain files. the app will warn you about that. there's no reason to use it unless you're running low on space.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
This sort of thing isn't often needed but when you need it, you need a good one.

I tested this one out of curiosity some time back - probably a year or so ago.

It's not snake oil and in my opinion the dev is honest and conscientious.

However - this app and any like it (I'm not sure off the top of my head if there really are, but Clean Master (don't install this) will do the orphan cleaning too) - are deceptively powerful.

And the SD Maid dev tries to warn about that but too few people read the label before use.

If it glitches evaluating what's safe to clean, things will break in a hurry.

Not the dev's fault, it's hard to make this sort of thing perfectly universal.

I advise a good, as-complete-as-possible backup before use - that's apps, data, internal storage and sd card.

I'll bet most people will be ok but backups are easy and there's no reason to not protect yourself.

On a well behaved phone, SD Maid doesn't need to run often.

On a very well behaved phone, you may not notice a difference.

But it's a good app for what it is, so fwiw, I recommend it - provided you do a backup and read - not skim, read - what the dev has to say before use.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones