• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Searching for "Video Out" answers

jlindemann

Lurker
Dec 30, 2012
I just received my Nexus7 on Boxing Day and been trying to go through and make it work for me. Some how in my research I forgot to look into the HDMI functionality (or in this case, lack there of).

I'm trying to get the same business-usage out of my Nexus that I do from my iPad2. So I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to output video from the Nexus to a projector or a TV. If so, how?

I've read earlier posts from June and July that indicate at the time it wasn't possible. But later posts seem to indicate that Jelly Bean 4.2 might have the cure to this. But as I attempt to find more recent posts on the matter, it seems very murky as to whether anyone has actually gotten this to work or not.

Today I was down at the local Chapters store (Canadian version of Barnes & Noble) and the guy there was indicating that this adapter may do the trick Micro USB to HDMI Adapter: Amazon.ca: Electronics
But I'm a bit reluctant which is why I'm bring this to the forum.

I've heard talk of MicroUSB-HDMI convertors, some sort of wireless video adapter, streaming sticks and some sort of mirroring.

Just like the iPad1 I know that if the app developers didn't write the 3 lines of code into their program, it wouldn't display out to VGA. It wasn't until the iPad2/3 that Apple did a HDMI mirror.

I'm just wondering, is there any way to display video or presentations with my Nexus7?

I have a pretty cheap tv but it has an ethernet port and dlna certified network adapter, so I can use skifta to make the N7 into a sort of media center. I can browse through my videos on my tv interface. Also looks like crap, but works well enough if your tv supports the video formats. In order to play each and every format, you'll need something like mentioned above, an android tv interface that can install mx player or the likes.

Upvote 0
Hi jlindemann,

I've tried several of the DLNA free and paid-for players and the best one in my opinion is BubbleUPNP.

I use it mainly for streaming audio files (not just from the N7 itself, but also from network shares located via ES File Explorer, and Google Music in the cloud). It works flawlessly.

The other day I was tempted to try the video streaming (playing to my WDTV Live) and I have to say I was really impressed with the picture and sound quality over my wireless home network. I'd say forget about the lack of HDMI and crack on with BubbleSoftUPNP (paid-for version).

Just a little aside - if you plan to upload your music to the Google Music cloud service you may need to enable the proxy server setting within BubbleUPNP to make it work. It took me ages to discover this, hence I thought I would point it out in case it helps.

There is a free version of the software you can try in the marketplace as well.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones